Learning to drive a vehicle is not constantly unproblematic, and often it may seem like a good solution to select an automatic Ford Fiesta, if it’s for basic comfort or ease of use, this type of transmission is becoming more and more wide-spread. Nevertheless, although they might seem like an ideal solution, there might also be complications with the automatic gearboxes of your Ford Fiesta . This is precisely the theme of our content page. First, we’ll briefly explain the different types of automatic gearboxes, then, in a second step, which complications you might face with the gearbox of your Ford Fiesta , and, finally, how to resolve them.
The different sort of automatic gearbox of a Ford Fiesta
Gearboxes have the advantage of being known to be trustworthy, as you don’t need to use your clutch pedal and every thing is electronically and mechanically handled there will be no early wear of your clutch or other parts that could be put to the test by misuse on your part.
Nevertheless, based on the type of automatic transmission your Ford Fiesta is equipped with you will have more or less reliability, we will present them to you now:
- Common automatic gearbox: It will use a torque converter, which will control the gear changes, it’s the oldest technology, it has evolved quite a lot in the last decades (more gears and a better management of the gear changes).
- Robotized automatic gearbox: This is a manual gearbox with a robotized mechanism that will change the driver’s action. This type of gearbox is less and less common because they are thought to be very slow. We also quite often feel a coupling during deceleration.
- Dual-clutch automatic transmission: This is the best automatic transmission, it works on similar principle as the robotic transmission, but thanks to its dual clutch, you won’t have any more complications with slow speeds or elevated fuel consumption. They are often equipped on luxury models.
- Continuously variable automatic box: It is similar theory as on a scooter, a variator will come to control the differences between acceleration and motor speed, they are really slow and tend to be unresponsive during the acceleration phases of your Ford Fiesta.
I’m having complications with the automatic transmission on my Ford Fiesta
We now begin the part that absolutely attracts you the most in this article, what are the complications you may face with the automatic transmission of your Ford Fiesta? As outlined above, generally speaking they are more reliable than manual transmissions, however, here are the main complications you may face:
- As described over, no matter what type of automatic gearbox, they are quite often established to be slow and have inertia when accelerating. Nevertheless, this phenomenon is supposed to happen only when the car is started, not when it is launched. If it feels like it occurs constantly, the clutch or converter is most certainly dead.
- I have the impression that a gear in the automatic transmission of my Ford Fiesta no longer shifts or jumps: If you have the impression that your gears no longer shift or tend to jump on your Ford Fiesta, there is a part that is most likely responsible for this failure. In fact, the solenoid that acts as a “switch” to engage the gears must not be working effectively, second option, a speed or engine unit speed sensor may be faulty and send the wrong information to your gearbox.
- If you feel drops coming from the automatic gearbox of your Ford Fiesta: If you feel a clutch when you go up or when you slow down, it is either your oil which is too old and which does not lubricate any more adequately all the mechanisms of your gearbox, or else a sensor which gives bad info
- My Ford Fiesta’s automatic transmission is leaking: Finally, if your Ford Fiesta’s automatic transmission is leaking, it’s most probably one of your spy seals is too worn.
How do I fix automatic transmission complications on a Ford Fiesta?
And finally, we’re going to try to give you the techniques to correct the automatic transmission complications on your Ford Fiesta . Find them just below:
- Oil leak on the automatic gearbox of a Ford Fiesta: Locate the origin of the leak, and change the concerned gasket, get it achieved by a specialist, opening a gearbox is not easy. It will cost you a few hundred euros, especially for the labour. Do not think twice to read our content page on gearbox oil leaks on Ford Fiesta.
- Sensor issue: No matter which sensor is involved, a replacement is the only remedy, sensors do not repair themselves, you should count from 100 to a few hundred euros depending on the difficulty of access to the one that concerns you.
- Couplings: If you have complications with the couplings on your Ford Fiesta, you will only need to do a whole gearbox replace to gain comfort and preserve your gears.
- The automatic gearbox of my Ford Fiesta slips: In this instance, you certainly have a dead clutch disc, you will have to replace the clutch, and on some models you won’t be able to replace it without doing a standard exchange of the gearbox, be prepared to spend more than a thousand euros.
There are other automatic transmission complications on Ford Fiesta, such as electronic problems or pressure complications, but this list lists the main ones, no matter the reason, for such difficult mechanisms. As soon as you feel a problem on this level, we recommend you to go fairly quickly to your mechanic.
If you want more guides on the Ford Fiesta, go to our Ford Fiesta category.