Learning to drive a car is not always easy, and sometimes it may seem like a good solution to choose an automatic Chevrolet Sonic, whether it’s for basic comfort or ease of use, this type of transmission is becoming more and more common. However, while they may seem like an excellent choice, there might as well be complications with the automatic gearboxes of your Chevrolet Sonic . This is precisely the subject of our article. First, we’ll briefly show you the different types of automatic gearboxes, then, in a second step, which complications you might face with the gearbox of your Chevrolet Sonic , and, finally, how to solve them.
The different sort of automatic gearbox of a Chevrolet Sonic
Gearboxes have the advantage of being reputed to be trustworthy, as you don’t need to use your clutch pedal and every thing is electronically and mechanically managed there will be no early wear of your clutch or other components that could be put to the test by misuse on your part.
However, based on the type of automatic transmission your Chevrolet Sonic is equipped with you will have more or less reliability, we will expose them to you now:
- Common automatic gearbox: It will use a torque converter, which will manage the gear changes, it’s the oldest technology, it has evolved a lot in the last decades (more gears and a better management of the gear changes).
- Robotized automatic gearbox: This is a manual gearbox with a robotized system that will change the driver’s action. This type of gearbox is less and less basic because they are thought to be very slow. We as well often feel a coupling during deceleration.
- Dual-clutch automatic transmission: This is the greatest automatic transmission, it works on the same concept as the robotic transmission, but thanks to its dual clutch, you won’t have any more complications with slow speeds or elevated fuel consumption. They are often equipped on luxury models.
- Continuously variable automatic box: It is the same theory as on a scooter, a variator will come to control the differences between acceleration and motor speed, they are really slow and often be unresponsive during the acceleration phases of your Chevrolet Sonic.
I’m having complications with the automatic transmission on my Chevrolet Sonic
We now begin the part that absolutely attracts you the most in this article, what are the complications you may come across with the automatic transmission of your Chevrolet Sonic? As described earlier, generally they are more reliable than manual transmissions, nevertheless, here are the most important complications you may face:
- As mentioned above, no matter what type of automatic gearbox, they are often known to be slow and have inertia when accelerating. However, this phenomenon is designed to occur just when the vehicle is started, not when it is launched. If it feels like it happens all the time, the clutch or converter is most likely dead.
- I have the impression that a gear in the automatic transmission of my Chevrolet Sonic no longer shifts or jumps: If you have the impression that your gears no longer shift or often jump on your Chevrolet Sonic, there is a part that is most certainly responsible for this failure. In actual fact, the solenoid that acts as a “switch” to engage the gears must not be functioning effectively, second option, a speed or engine unit speed sensor may be defective and send the wrong information to your gearbox.
- If you feel drops caused by the automatic gearbox of your Chevrolet Sonic: If you feel a clutch when you go up or when you slow down, it is either your oil which is too old and which does not lubricate any more adequately all the mechanisms of your gearbox, or else a sensor which gives bad info
- My Chevrolet Sonic’s automatic transmission is leaking: Finally, if your Chevrolet Sonic’s automatic transmission is leaking, it’s most probably one of your spy seals is too worn.
How do I fix automatic transmission complications on a Chevrolet Sonic?
And finally, we’re going to try to give you the strategies to correct the automatic transmission complications on your Chevrolet Sonic . Find them down below:
- Oil leak on the automatic gearbox of a Chevrolet Sonic: Discover the source of the leak, and change the concerned gasket, get it conducted by a specialist, opening a gearbox is not easy. It will cost you a few hundred euros, especially for the labour. Do not think twice to read our article on gearbox oil leaks on Chevrolet Sonic.
- Sensor issue: No matter which sensor is involved, a replacement is the just solution, sensors do not repair themselves, you should count from 100 to a few hundred euros dependent on the difficulty of access to the one that concerns you.
- Couplings: If you have complications with the couplings on your Chevrolet Sonic, you will only need to do a complete gearbox change to gain comfort and preserve your gears.
- The automatic gearbox of my Chevrolet Sonic slips: In this instance, you clearly have a dead clutch disc, you will have to change the clutch, and on some models you won’t have the ability to change it without doing a standard exchange of the gearbox, be prepared to spend more than a thousand euros.
There are other automatic transmission complications on Chevrolet Sonic, such as electronic problems or pressure complications, but this list lists the most important ones, no matter the reason, for such complex mechanisms. Once you feel a problem on this level, we recommend you to go fairly quickly to your mechanic.
If perhaps you have any additional questions about the Chevrolet Sonic, do not hesitate to consult our Chevrolet Sonic category.