Learning to drive a car is not all the time unproblematic, and occasionally it may seem like a good solution to select an automatic Chevrolet Equinox, if it’s for basic convenience or ease of use, this kind of transmission is becoming more and more known. Nevertheless, while they might seem like an excellent solution, there may also be complications with the automatic gearboxes of your Chevrolet Equinox . This is precisely the subject of our article. First, we’ll quickly explain the different types of automatic gearboxes, then, in a second step, which complications you may face with the gearbox of your Chevrolet Equinox , and, finally, how to solve them.
The different kind of automatic gearbox of a Chevrolet Equinox
Gearboxes have the advantage of being reputed to be trustworthy, as you don’t need to use your clutch pedal and every thing is electronically and mechanically controlled there will be no premature wear of your clutch or other parts that could be put to the test by misuse on your part.
Nevertheless, depending on the kind of automatic transmission your Chevrolet Equinox is equipped with you will have more or less reliability, we will introduce them to you now:
- Common automatic gearbox: It will use a torque converter, which will manage the gear changes, it’s the oldest technology, it has evolved a lot in the last decades (more gears and a better management of the gear changes).
- Robotized automatic gearbox: This is a manual gearbox with a robotized system that will replace the driver’s action. This kind of gearbox is less and less basic because they are viewed as very slow. We also quite often feel a coupling during deceleration.
- Dual-clutch automatic transmission: This is the greatest automatic transmission, it works on similar concept as the robotic transmission, but thanks to its dual clutch, you won’t have any more complications with slow speeds or elevated fuel consumption. They are often fitted on luxury models.
- Continuously variable automatic box: It is similar principle as on a scooter, a variator will come to control the differences between acceleration and motor speed, they are particularly slow and tend to be unresponsive during the acceleration phases of your Chevrolet Equinox.
I’m having complications with the automatic transmission on my Chevrolet Equinox
We now begin the part that absolutely attracts you the most in this article, what are the complications you may encounter with the automatic transmission of your Chevrolet Equinox? As outlined above, generally speaking they are more reliable than manual transmissions, however, here are the most important complications you may face:
- As mentioned earlier, no matter what kind of automatic gearbox, they are quite often established to be slow and have inertia when accelerating. Nevertheless, this phenomenon is designed to occur just when the vehicle is started, not when it is launched. If it feels like it occurs constantly, the clutch or converter is almost certainly dead.
- I have the feeling that a gear in the automatic transmission of my Chevrolet Equinox no longer shifts or jumps: If you have the feeling that your gears no longer shift or tend to jump on your Chevrolet Equinox, there is a part that is undoubtedly to blame for this failure. In fact, the solenoid that works as a “switch” to engage the gears must not be functioning properly, second option, a speed or engine unit speed sensor may be faulty and send the wrong information to your gearbox.
- If you experience drops caused by the automatic gearbox of your Chevrolet Equinox: If you experience a clutch when you go up or when you slow down, it is either your oil which is too old and which does not lubricate any more adequately all the mechanisms of your gearbox, or else a sensor which gives bad information
- My Chevrolet Equinox’s automatic transmission is leaking: At last, if your Chevrolet Equinox’s automatic transmission is leaking, it’s most likely one of your spy seals is too worn.
How do I fix automatic transmission complications on a Chevrolet Equinox?
And finally, we’re going to try to give you the techniques to fix the automatic transmission complications on your Chevrolet Equinox . Find them down below:
- Oil leak on the automatic gearbox of a Chevrolet Equinox: Locate the source of the leak, and replace the concerned gasket, get it achieved by a professional, opening a gearbox is not easy. It will cost you a few hundred euros, specifically for the labour. Do not think twice to read our article on gearbox oil leaks on Chevrolet Equinox.
- Sensor issue: No matter which sensor is concerned, a replacement is the just solution, sensors do not repair themselves, you should count from 100 to a few hundred euros dependent on the difficulty of access to the one that worries you.
- Couplings: If you have complications with the couplings on your Chevrolet Equinox, you will only need to do a whole gearbox replace to gain comfort and preserve your gears.
- The automatic gearbox of my Chevrolet Equinox slips: In this case, you certainly have a dead clutch disc, you will have to replace the clutch, and on some models you won’t be able to replace it without doing a standard exchange of the gearbox, be prepared to spend more than a thousand euros.
There are other automatic transmission complications on Chevrolet Equinox, such as electronic problems or pressure complications, but this list lists the most important ones, whatever the case, for such complex mechanisms. As soon as you feel a problem on this level, we suggest you to go fairly quickly to your mechanic.
If you want more tutorials on the Chevrolet Equinox, go to our Chevrolet Equinox category.