Learning to drive a car is not all the time easy, and occasionally it may seem like a good solution to select an automatic Cadillac XT5, if it’s for simple comfort or ease of use, this kind of transmission is becoming more and more prevailing. However, while they may seem like an ideal choice, there may possibly also be problems with the automatic gearboxes of your Cadillac XT5 . This is exactly the subject of our content. First, we’ll quickly describe the different types of automatic gearboxes, then, in a second step, which problems you may possibly encounter with the gearbox of your Cadillac XT5 , and, at last, how to fix them.
The different kind of automatic gearbox of a Cadillac XT5
Gearboxes have the advantage of being known to be reliable, as you don’t need to use your clutch pedal and every thing is electronically and mechanically controlled there will be no premature wear of your clutch or other elements that could be put to the test by misuse on your component.
However, based on the kind of automatic transmission your Cadillac XT5 is equipped with you will have more or less reliability, we will expose them to you now:
- Common automatic gearbox: It will use a torque converter, which will control the gear changes, it’s the oldest technology, it has evolved a lot in the last decades (more gears and a better management of the gear changes).
- Robotized automatic gearbox: This is a manual gearbox with a robotized mechanism that will replace the driver’s action. This kind of gearbox is less and less basic because they are viewed as very slow. We also often feel a coupling during deceleration.
- Dual-clutch automatic transmission: This is the ultimate automatic transmission, it functions on the same concept as the robotic transmission, but thanks to its dual clutch, you won’t have any more problems with slow speeds or increased fuel consumption. They are often fitted on luxury models.
- Continuously variable automatic box: It is the same theory as on a scooter, a variator will come to control the differences between acceleration and motor speed, they are particularly slow and tend to be unresponsive during the acceleration phases of your Cadillac XT5.
I’m having problems with the automatic transmission on my Cadillac XT5
We now begin the component that surely attracts you the most in this post, what are the problems you may encounter with the automatic transmission of your Cadillac XT5? As described earlier, in general they are more reliable than manual transmissions, however, here are the most important problems you may encounter:
- As revealed above, no matter what kind of automatic gearbox, they are often established to be slow and have inertia when accelerating. However, this phenomenon is designed to happen just when the car is started, not when it is launched. If it feels like it happens constantly, the clutch or converter is likely dead.
- I have the feeling that a gear in the automatic transmission of my Cadillac XT5 no longer shifts or jumps: If you have the feeling that your gears no longer shift or tend to jump on your Cadillac XT5, there is a component that is undoubtedly to blame for this failure. In fact, the solenoid that works as a “switch” to engage the gears must not be working properly, second option, a speed or engine speed sensor may be defective and send the wrong information to your gearbox.
- If you experience drops caused by the automatic gearbox of your Cadillac XT5: If you experience a clutch when you go up or when you slow down, it is either your oil which is too old and which does not lubricate any more adequately all the mechanisms of your gearbox, or else a sensor which gives bad info
- My Cadillac XT5’s automatic transmission is leaking: At last, if your Cadillac XT5’s automatic transmission is leaking, it’s most probably one of your spy seals is too worn.
How do I fix automatic transmission problems on a Cadillac XT5?
And finally, we’re going to try to give you the strategies to correct the automatic transmission problems on your Cadillac XT5 . Find them below:
- Oil leak on the automatic gearbox of a Cadillac XT5: Locate the origin of the leak, and replace the concerned gasket, get it done by a specialist, opening a gearbox is not easy. It will cost you a few hundred euros, especially for the labour. Do not think twice to read our content on gearbox oil leaks on Cadillac XT5.
- Sensor problem: No matter which sensor is concerned, a replacement is the just remedy, sensors do not repair themselves, you should count from 100 to a few hundred euros depending on the difficulty of access to the one that concerns you.
- Couplings: If you have problems with the couplings on your Cadillac XT5, you will only need to do a whole gearbox replace to gain comfort and preserve your gears.
- The automatic gearbox of my Cadillac XT5 slips: In such a case, you certainly have a dead clutch disc, you will have to replace the clutch, and on some models you won’t be able to replace it without doing a standard exchange of the gearbox, be prepared to spend more than a thousand euros.
There are other automatic transmission problems on Cadillac XT5, such as electronic problems or pressure problems, but this list lists the most important ones, no matter the reason, for such difficult mechanisms. As soon as you feel a problem on this level, we recommend you to go quickly to your mechanic.
To get more tips on the Cadillac XT5, take a look at the Cadillac XT5 category.