Learning to drive a vehicle is not all the time easy, and often it may seem like a good solution to select an automatic Bmw Serie 3, whether it’s for very easy comfort or ease of use, this type of transmission is becoming more and more known. Nevertheless, while they might seem like an ideal choice, there may possibly as well be complications with the automatic gearboxes of your Bmw Serie 3 . This is precisely the subject of our content page. First, we’ll quickly explain the different types of automatic gearboxes, then, in a second step, which complications you may possibly come across with the gearbox of your Bmw Serie 3 , and, at last, how to resolve them.
The different types of automatic gearbox of a Bmw Serie 3
Gearboxes have the advantage of being reputed to be trustworthy, as you don’t need to use your clutch pedal and every thing is electronically and mechanically handled there will be no early wear of your clutch or other elements that could be put to the test by misuse on your part.
Nevertheless, depending on the type of automatic transmission your Bmw Serie 3 is equipped with you will have more or less reliability, we will introduce them to you now:
- Common automatic gearbox: It will use a torque converter, which will control the gear changes, it’s the oldest technology, it has evolved a lot in the last decades (more gears and a better management of the gear changes).
- Robotized automatic gearbox: This is a manual gearbox with a robotized system that will change the driver’s action. This type of gearbox is less and less basic because they are thought to be very slow. We as well generally feel a coupling during deceleration.
- Dual-clutch automatic transmission: This is the greatest automatic transmission, it works on the same principle as the robotic transmission, but thanks to its dual clutch, you won’t have any more complications with slow speeds or elevated fuel consumption. They are often equipped on luxury models.
- Continuously variable automatic box: It is the same concept as on a scooter, a variator will come to control the differences between acceleration and motor speed, they are especially slow and tend to be unresponsive during the acceleration phases of your Bmw Serie 3.
I’m having complications with the automatic transmission on my Bmw Serie 3
We now begin the part that surely attracts you the most in this article, what are the complications you may encounter with the automatic transmission of your Bmw Serie 3? As explained above, generally they are more reliable than manual transmissions, however, here are the most important complications you may come across:
- As described over, no matter what type of automatic gearbox, they are generally established to be slow and have inertia when accelerating. Nevertheless, this phenomenon is supposed to occur just when the car is started, not when it is launched. If it feels like it happens constantly, the clutch or converter is likely dead.
- I have the feeling that a gear in the automatic transmission of my Bmw Serie 3 no longer shifts or jumps: If you have the feeling that your gears no longer shift or tend to jump on your Bmw Serie 3, there is a part that is most certainly responsible for this failure. In truth, the solenoid that acts as a “switch” to engage the gears must not be functioning effectively, second option, a speed or engine unit speed sensor may be defective and send the wrong information to your gearbox.
- If you feel drops originating from the automatic gearbox of your Bmw Serie 3: If you feel a clutch when you go up or when you slow down, it is either your oil which is too old and which does not lubricate any more adequately all the mechanisms of your gearbox, or else a sensor which gives bad information
- My Bmw Serie 3’s automatic transmission is leaking: Finally, if your Bmw Serie 3’s automatic transmission is leaking, it’s most probably one of your spy seals is too worn.
How do I fix automatic transmission complications on a Bmw Serie 3?
And finally, we’re going to try to give you the strategies to correct the automatic transmission complications on your Bmw Serie 3 . Find them just below:
- Oil leak on the automatic gearbox of a Bmw Serie 3: Locate the origin of the leak, and change the concerned gasket, get it done by a specialist, opening a gearbox is not easy. It will cost you a few hundred euros, specifically for the labour. Do not think twice to read our content page on gearbox oil leaks on Bmw Serie 3.
- Sensor issue: No matter which sensor is involved, a replacement is the just remedy, sensors do not repair themselves, you should count from 100 to a few hundred euros according to the difficulty of access to the one that worries you.
- Couplings: If you have complications with the couplings on your Bmw Serie 3, you will only need to do a complete gearbox replace to gain comfort and preserve your gears.
- The automatic gearbox of my Bmw Serie 3 slips: In such a case, you most certainly have a dead clutch disc, you will have to replace the clutch, and on some models you won’t have the ability to replace it without doing a standard exchange of the gearbox, be prepared to spend more than a thousand euros.
There are other automatic transmission complications on Bmw Serie 3, such as electronic problems or pressure complications, but this list lists the most important ones, in any case, for such complex mechanisms. When you feel a problem on this level, we suggest you to go fairly quickly to your mechanic.
If you have any further questions about the Bmw Serie 3, do not hesitate to consult our Bmw Serie 3 category.