Learning to drive a vehicle is not constantly easy, and often it may seem like a good solution to choose an automatic Alfa Romeo Giulia, if it’s for basic comfort or ease of use, this type of transmission is becoming more and more wide-spread. However, while they might seem like a perfect choice, there might as well be problems with the automatic gearboxes of your Alfa Romeo Giulia . This is exactly the subject of our article. First, we’ll quickly show you the different types of automatic gearboxes, then, in a second step, which problems you might encounter with the gearbox of your Alfa Romeo Giulia , and, finally, how to resolve them.
The different types of automatic gearbox of a Alfa Romeo Giulia
Gearboxes have the advantage of being reputed to be reliable, as you don’t need to use your clutch pedal and everything is electronically and mechanically handled there will be no premature wear of your clutch or other elements that could be put to the test by misuse on your component.
However, depending on the type of automatic transmission your Alfa Romeo Giulia is equipped with you will have more or less reliability, we will expose them to you now:
- Classic automatic gearbox: It will use a torque converter, which will control the gear changes, it’s the oldest technology, it has evolved quite a lot in the last decades (more gears and a better management of the gear changes).
- Robotized automatic gearbox: This is a manual gearbox with a robotized system that will replace the driver’s action. This type of gearbox is less and less general because they are considered very slow. We as well quite often feel a coupling during deceleration.
- Dual-clutch automatic transmission: This is the greatest automatic transmission, it functions on the same principle as the robotic transmission, but thanks to its dual clutch, you won’t have any more problems with slow speeds or increased fuel consumption. They are often equipped on luxury models.
- Continuously variable automatic box: It is the same theory as on a scooter, a variator will come to control the differences between acceleration and motor speed, they are especially slow and often be unresponsive during the acceleration phases of your Alfa Romeo Giulia.
I’m having problems with the automatic transmission on my Alfa Romeo Giulia
We now start the component that definitely attracts you the most in this article, what are the problems you may come across with the automatic transmission of your Alfa Romeo Giulia? As revealed above, in general they are more reliable than manual transmissions, however, here are the most important problems you may encounter:
- As revealed above, no matter what type of automatic gearbox, they are quite often established to be slow and have inertia when accelerating. However, this phenomenon is designed to occur just when the vehicle is started, not when it is launched. If it feels like it happens constantly, the clutch or converter is most likely dead.
- I have the feeling that a gear in the automatic transmission of my Alfa Romeo Giulia no longer shifts or jumps: If you have the feeling that your gears no longer shift or often jump on your Alfa Romeo Giulia, there is a component that is most certainly responsible for this failure. In actual fact, the solenoid that works as a “switch” to engage the gears must not be functioning properly, second option, a speed or engine speed sensor may be defective and send the wrong information to your gearbox.
- If you feel drops caused by the automatic gearbox of your Alfa Romeo Giulia: If you feel a clutch when you go up or when you slow down, it is either your oil which is too old and which does not lubricate any more adequately all the mechanisms of your gearbox, or else a sensor which gives bad info
- My Alfa Romeo Giulia’s automatic transmission is leaking: Finally, if your Alfa Romeo Giulia’s automatic transmission is leaking, it’s most probably one of your spy seals is too worn.
How do I fix automatic transmission problems on a Alfa Romeo Giulia?
And finally, we’re going to try to give you the solutions to correct the automatic transmission problems on your Alfa Romeo Giulia . Find them down below:
- Oil leak on the automatic gearbox of a Alfa Romeo Giulia: Find the origin of the leak, and replace the concerned gasket, get it conducted by a professional, opening a gearbox is not easy. It will cost you a few hundred euros, especially for the labour. Do not think twice to read our article on gearbox oil leaks on Alfa Romeo Giulia.
- Sensor problem: No matter which sensor is involved, a replacement is the just remedy, sensors do not repair themselves, you should count from 100 to a few hundred euros dependent on the difficulty of access to the one that concerns you.
- Couplings: If you have problems with the couplings on your Alfa Romeo Giulia, you will only need to do a complete gearbox replace to gain comfort and preserve your gears.
- The automatic gearbox of my Alfa Romeo Giulia slips: In this case, you certainly have a dead clutch disc, you will have to replace the clutch, and on some models you won’t be able to replace it without doing a standard exchange of the gearbox, be prepared to spend more than a thousand euros.
There are other automatic transmission problems on Alfa Romeo Giulia, such as electronic problems or pressure problems, but this list lists the most important ones, whatever the case, for such complex mechanisms. When you feel a problem on this level, we advise you to go fairly quickly to your mechanic.
If you wish more tutorials on the Alfa Romeo Giulia, go to our Alfa Romeo Giulia category.