We continue our series of web content on what can get stuck on your motor vehicle. After seeing why your fuel flap or hood could get stuck, in this article we’ll check out why the key is stuck in your Volvo S60 ignition . Particularly irritating, having a stuck ignition cylinder will prevent you from starting and consequently from utilising your motor vehicle. We will therefore do everything we can to help you remedy this problem as quickly as possible. To get this done, first, we will show you to you what the ignition of your car is used for, then in a second time, why the ignition barrel of your Volvo S60 is stuck? And, to conclude, how to unblock the key stuck in your Volvo S60 ignition.
What’s the aim of my Volvo S60’s ignition lock?
The ignition lock of your Volvo S60 is a secureness component. Its purpose is to secure your car from theft attempts. It is positioned on the steering column of your motor vehicle, invented in 1931 by Abram Neiman. Its purpose is to prevent your Volvo S60 from starting by blocking the steering and the steering lock if it does not recognize your motor vehicle key. It is closely related to the starter switch which will integrate the key lock and an electric switch. There is a tendency to confuse the starter switch and the neiman, and when we talk about blocked neiman we generally make reference to a key that does not turn or does not turn well in the cylinder of the lock of your motor vehicle.
Why is the key stuck in your Volvo S60 ignition?
Now it’s time to show you to you why the key is stuck in your Volvo S60 ignition cylinder . Now that we’ve explained what the ignition is, it’s time to identify why it’s stuck. If it is the steering wheel of your Volvo S60 that is blocked, do not hesitate to have a look at our content page on this matter. A neiman is not a wearing component that you change frequently but time has an influence on it and it can occur that you have to change it as a result of regular wear and tear. In this article are the different explanations of a ignition that locks on Volvo S60 :
- Normal wear and tear on the ignition barrel of your Volvo S60 : As we explained earlier, with time, the components of the neiman can become seized up, or become loaded with dust or small particles from the outside that will prevent it from functioning properly. In this case, you should feel complications inserting and turning the key before it locks totally.
- An element of the ignition of your Volvo S60 that breaks down: In the same logic, an element of the neiman can fail. As we explained in introduction, when we speak about the neiman we often include, the cylinder, the lock and the starter switch, if one of these parts is faulty, the neiman will not let the key turn in the cylinder of the lock
- Someone forced too much on the ignition barrel of your Volvo S60: At last, last possibility, and it’s more or less rational, if someone forced too much on the neiman in unlocking the steering wheel of your motor vehicle before, he may have twisted internal components and thus broken the neiman of it.
How do I unlock the key stuck in my Volvo S60 ignition barrel?
We now move on to the solutions available to you for dealing with a key stuck in your Volvo S60 ignition . According to the source of your problem the solutions will not be similar, find them down below:
- Ignition barrel blocked as a result of a twisted key: If your key is twisted, it is logical that your neiman will not unblock. Try gently with a mallet to straighten your key, if you can’t do it, use the copy of your key.
- Ignition cylinder If the neiman of your Volvo S60 is clogged as a result of impurities : Use a WD40 type degreaser and let it work for a few minutes, it should unblock the neiman of your Volvo S60.
- If your key is stuck in your ignition as a result of a faulty element: If finally it is as a result of an internal element that your ignition lock is no longer unblocked you will regrettably have to change the whole block (electronic switch, lock cylinder, neiman), we suggest you to go to a professional who will also have to give you a new key to start your Volvo S60.
If you need more guides on the Volvo S60, go to our Volvo S60 category.