We continue our series of articles on what can get stuck on your car. After discovering why your fuel flap or hood could get stuck, today we’ll take a look at why the key is stuck in your Volkswagen Routan ignition . Particularly frustrating, having a stuck ignition cylinder will prevent you from starting and therefore from utilising your car. We will so do everything we can to help you fix this issue as soon as possible. To do this, first, we will describe to you what the ignition of your car is used for, then in a second time, why the ignition barrel of your Volkswagen Routan is stuck? And, finally, how to unblock the key stuck in your Volkswagen Routan ignition.
What’s the aim of my Volkswagen Routan’s ignition lock?
The ignition lock of your Volkswagen Routan is a security element. Its purpose is to secure your car from theft tries. It is situated on the steering column of your car, created in 1931 by Abram Neiman. Its purpose is to prevent your Volkswagen Routan from starting by blocking the steering and the steering lock if it does not recognize your car key. It is closely linked to the starter switch which will integrate the key lock and an electric switch. There is a tendency to confuse the starter switch and the neiman, and when we talk about blocked neiman we quite often make reference to a key that does not turn or does not turn well in the cylinder of the lock of your car.
Why is the key stuck in your Volkswagen Routan ignition?
Now it’s time to describe to you why the key is stuck in your Volkswagen Routan ignition cylinder . Now that we’ve detailed what the ignition is, it’s time to find out why it’s stuck. If it is the steering wheel of your Volkswagen Routan that is blocked, do not hesitate to have a look at our content on this subject. A neiman is not a wearing part that you change frequently but time has an influence on it and it can happen that you have to change it because of regular wear and tear. Here are the different reasons of a ignition that locks on Volkswagen Routan :
- Regular wear and tear on the ignition barrel of your Volkswagen Routan : As we stated earlier, with time, the components of the neiman can become seized up, or become loaded with dust or small particles from the outside that will prevent it from working correctly. In such a case, you should experience difficulty inserting and turning the key before it locks entirely.
- An element of the ignition of your Volkswagen Routan that fails: In the same logic, an element of the neiman can fail. As we explained in introduction, when we talk about the neiman we often include, the cylinder, the lock and the starter switch, if one of these parts is defective, the neiman will not let the key turn in the cylinder of the lock
- Someone forced too much on the ignition barrel of your Volkswagen Routan: Finally, last possibility, and it’s more or less logical, if someone forced too much on the neiman in unlocking the steering wheel of your car before, he may have twisted internal components and thus damaged the neiman of it.
How do I unlock the key stuck in my Volkswagen Routan ignition barrel?
We now move on to the solutions available to you for dealing with a key stuck in your Volkswagen Routan ignition . According to the source of your issue the solutions will not be similar, discover them below:
- Ignition barrel blocked because of a twisted key: If your key is twisted, it is logical that your neiman will not unblock. Try gently with a mallet to straighten your key, if you can’t do it, use the copy of your key.
- Ignition cylinder If the neiman of your Volkswagen Routan is clogged because of impurities : Use a WD40 type degreaser and let it work for a few moments, it should unblock the neiman of your Volkswagen Routan.
- If your key is stuck in your ignition because of a defective element: If finally it is because of an internal element that your ignition lock is no longer unblocked you will sadly have to change the whole block (electronic switch, lock cylinder, neiman), we suggest you to go to a expert who will also have to give you a new key to start your Volkswagen Routan.
If you wish more guides on the Volkswagen Routan, go to our Volkswagen Routan category.