We continue our series of articles on what can get stuck on your car. After discovering why your fuel flap or hood could get stuck, today we’ll check out why the key is stuck in your Renault Espace 5 ignition . Specially annoying, having a stuck ignition cylinder will prevent you from starting and consequently from using your car. We will therefore do everything we can to help you fix this issue as quickly as possible. To do this, first, we will explain to you what the ignition of your car is used for, then in a second time, why the ignition barrel of your Renault Espace 5 is stuck? And, at last, how to unblock the key stuck in your Renault Espace 5 ignition.
What’s the purpose of my Renault Espace 5’s ignition lock?
The ignition lock of your Renault Espace 5 is a security feature. Its intent is to protect your car from theft attempts. It is situated on the steering column of your car, invented in 1931 by Abram Neiman. Its intent is to prevent your Renault Espace 5 from starting by blocking the steering and the steering lock if it does not recognize your car key. It is closely connected to the starter switch which will integrate the key lock and an electric switch. There is a tendency to confuse the starter switch and the neiman, and when we talk about blocked neiman we quite often make reference to a key that does not turn or does not turn well in the cylinder of the lock of your car.
Why is the key stuck in your Renault Espace 5 ignition?
Now it’s time to explain to you why the key is stuck in your Renault Espace 5 ignition cylinder . Now that we’ve defined what the ignition is, it’s time to find out why it’s stuck. If it is the steering wheel of your Renault Espace 5 that is blocked, do not hesitate to consult our content on this matter. A neiman is not a wearing component that you replace frequently but time has an influence on it and it can appear that you have to replace it due to regular wear and tear. On this website are the different explanations of a ignition that locks on Renault Espace 5 :
- Regular wear and tear on the ignition barrel of your Renault Espace 5 : As we explained earlier, with time, the elements of the neiman can become seized up, or become filled with dust or small particles from the outside that will prevent it from working effectively. In this case, you should experience struggle inserting and turning the key before it locks totally.
- An element of the ignition of your Renault Espace 5 that fails: In the same logic, an element of the neiman can fail. As we described in introduction, when we mention the neiman we often include, the cylinder, the lock and the starter switch, if one of these parts is faulty, the neiman will not let the key turn in the cylinder of the lock
- Someone forced too much on the ignition barrel of your Renault Espace 5: At last, last opportunity, and it’s more or less rational, if someone forced too much on the neiman in unlocking the steering wheel of your car before, he may have twisted internal components and thus damaged the neiman of it.
How do I unlock the key stuck in my Renault Espace 5 ignition barrel?
We now proceed to the solutions available to you for fixing a key stuck in your Renault Espace 5 ignition . Depending to the source of your issue the solutions will not be similar, find them below:
- Ignition barrel blocked due to a twisted key: If your key is twisted, it is obvious that your neiman will not unblock. Try gently with a mallet to straighten your key, if you can’t do it, use the duplicate of your key.
- Ignition cylinder If the neiman of your Renault Espace 5 is clogged due to impurities : Use a WD40 type degreaser and let it work for a few moments, it should unblock the neiman of your Renault Espace 5.
- If your key is stuck in your ignition due to a faulty element: If finally it is due to an internal element that your ignition lock is no longer unblocked you will regrettably have to replace the whole block (electronic switch, lock cylinder, neiman), we suggest you to go to a expert who will as well have to give you a new key to begin your Renault Espace 5.
If perhaps you have any further questions about the Renault Espace 5, do not hesitate to consult our Renault Espace 5 category.