We continue our series of articles on what can get stuck on your motor vehicle. After discovering why your fuel flap or hood could get stuck, today we’ll check out why the key is stuck in your Ram P/U ignition . Specially irritating, having a stuck ignition cylinder will prevent you from starting and consequently from utilising your motor vehicle. We will therefore do everything we can to help you resolve this problem as quickly as possible. To do this, first, we will explain to you what the ignition of your motor vehicle is used for, then in a second time, why the ignition barrel of your Ram P/U is stuck? And, to conclude, how to unblock the key stuck in your Ram P/U ignition.
What’s the goal of my Ram P/U’s ignition lock?
The ignition lock of your Ram P/U is a secureness feature. Its intent is to secure your car from theft tries. It is situated on the steering column of your motor vehicle, created in 1931 by Abram Neiman. Its intent is to prevent your Ram P/U from starting by blocking the steering and the steering lock if it does not identify your motor vehicle key. It is closely connected to the starter switch which will incorporate the key lock and an electric switch. There is a tendency to confuse the starter switch and the neiman, and when we talk about blocked neiman we quite often refer to a key that does not turn or does not turn well in the cylinder of the lock of your motor vehicle.
Why is the key stuck in your Ram P/U ignition?
Now it’s time to explain to you why the key is stuck in your Ram P/U ignition cylinder . Now that we’ve described what the ignition is, it’s time to identify why it’s stuck. If it is the steering wheel of your Ram P/U that is blocked, do not hesitate to seek advice from our content page on this subject matter. A neiman is not a wearing component that you replace regularly but time has an influence on it and it can appear that you have to replace it as a result of normal wear and tear. On this website are the different reasons of a ignition that locks on Ram P/U :
- Normal wear and tear on the ignition barrel of your Ram P/U : As we explained over, over time, the elements of the neiman can become seized up, or become packed with dust or small particles from the outside that will prevent it from working properly. In this case, you should feel issue inserting and turning the key before it locks completely.
- An element of the ignition of your Ram P/U that fails: In the same logic, an element of the neiman can fail. As we revealed in introduction, when we speak about the neiman we often include, the cylinder, the lock and the starter switch, if one of these parts is faulty, the neiman will not let the key turn in the cylinder of the lock
- Someone forced too much on the ignition barrel of your Ram P/U: Finally, last opportunity, and it’s more or less rational, if someone forced too much on the neiman in unlocking the steering wheel of your motor vehicle before, he may have twisted internal elements and thus damaged the neiman of it.
How do I unlock the key stuck in my Ram P/U ignition barrel?
We now proceed to the solutions available to you for handling a key stuck in your Ram P/U ignition . Depending to the source of your problem the solutions will not be the same, discover them below:
- Ignition barrel blocked as a result of a twisted key: If your key is twisted, it is obvious that your neiman will not unblock. Try softly with a mallet to straighten your key, if you can’t do it, use the copy of your key.
- Ignition cylinder If the neiman of your Ram P/U is clogged as a result of impurities : Use a WD40 type degreaser and let it work for a couple of minutes, it should unblock the neiman of your Ram P/U.
- If your key is stuck in your ignition as a result of a faulty element: If finally it is as a result of an internal element that your ignition lock is no longer unblocked you will regrettably have to replace the whole block (electronic switch, lock cylinder, neiman), we advise you to go to a specialist who will as well have to give you a new key to start your Ram P/U.
If perhaps you have any further questions about the Ram P/U, do not hesitate to consult our Ram P/U category.