We continue our series of content articles on what can get stuck on your car. After discovering why your fuel flap or hood could get stuck, in this article we’ll take a look at why the key is stuck in your Peugeot 205 ignition . Especially frustrating, having a stuck ignition cylinder will prevent you from starting and consequently from employing your car. We will consequently do everything we can to help you solve this issue as quickly as possible. To achieve this, first, we will describe to you what the ignition of your car is used for, then in a second time, why the ignition barrel of your Peugeot 205 is stuck? And, to conclude, how to unblock the key stuck in your Peugeot 205 ignition.
What’s the purpose of my Peugeot 205’s ignition lock?
The ignition lock of your Peugeot 205 is a security component. Its intent is to secure your car from theft tries. It is placed on the steering column of your car, created in 1931 by Abram Neiman. Its intent is to prevent your Peugeot 205 from starting by blocking the steering and the steering lock if it does not identify your car key. It is closely linked to the starter switch which will incorporate the key lock and an electric switch. There is a tendency to confuse the starter switch and the neiman, and when we talk about blocked neiman we quite often make reference to a key that does not turn or does not turn well in the cylinder of the lock of your car.
Why is the key stuck in your Peugeot 205 ignition?
Now it’s time to describe to you why the key is stuck in your Peugeot 205 ignition cylinder . Now that we’ve described what the ignition is, it’s time to identify why it’s stuck. If it is the steering wheel of your Peugeot 205 that is blocked, do not hesitate to consult our content on this matter. A neiman is not a wearing part that you change repeatedly but time has an influence on it and it can occur that you have to change it due to regular wear and tear. In this article are the different reasons of a ignition that locks on Peugeot 205 :
- Normal wear and tear on the ignition barrel of your Peugeot 205 : As we explained above, with time, the components of the neiman can become seized up, or become loaded with dust or small particles from the outside that will prevent it from functioning properly. In this case, you should experience issue inserting and turning the key before it locks totally.
- A component of the ignition of your Peugeot 205 that fails: In the same logic, an element of the neiman can fail. As we explained in introduction, when we mention the neiman we often include, the cylinder, the lock and the starter switch, if one of these parts is defective, the neiman will not let the key turn in the cylinder of the lock
- Someone forced too much on the ignition barrel of your Peugeot 205: Finally, last opportunity, and it’s more or less logical, if someone forced too much on the neiman in unlocking the steering wheel of your car before, he may have twisted internal elements and thus broken the neiman of it.
How do I unlock the key stuck in my Peugeot 205 ignition barrel?
We now proceed to the solutions available to you for handling a key stuck in your Peugeot 205 ignition . Depending to the source of your issue the solutions will not be the same, locate them below:
- Ignition barrel blocked due to a twisted key: If your key is twisted, it is logical that your neiman will not unblock. Try gently with a mallet to straighten your key, if you can’t do it, use the duplicate of your key.
- Ignition cylinder If the neiman of your Peugeot 205 is clogged due to impurities : Use a WD40 type degreaser and let it work for a few minutes, it should unblock the neiman of your Peugeot 205.
- If your key is stuck in your ignition due to a defective element: If finally it is due to an internal element that your ignition lock is no longer unblocked you will sadly have to change the whole block (electronic switch, lock cylinder, neiman), we advise you to go to a expert who will as well have to give you a new key to start your Peugeot 205.
If perhaps you have any additional questions about the Peugeot 205, do not hesitate to consult our Peugeot 205 category.