We continue our series of web content on what can get stuck on your motor vehicle. After seeing why your fuel flap or hood could get stuck, in this article we’ll take a look at why the key is stuck in your Opel Astra 5 ignition . Especially irritating, having a stuck ignition cylinder will prevent you from starting and consequently from utilising your motor vehicle. We will therefore do everything we can to help you solve this issue as soon as possible. To do this, first, we will show you to you what the ignition of your motor vehicle is used for, then in a second time, why the ignition barrel of your Opel Astra 5 is stuck? And, finally, how to unblock the key stuck in your Opel Astra 5 ignition.
What’s the aim of my Opel Astra 5’s ignition lock?
The ignition lock of your Opel Astra 5 is a secureness element. Its intent is to secure your car from theft tries. It is situated on the steering column of your motor vehicle, invented in 1931 by Abram Neiman. Its intent is to prevent your Opel Astra 5 from starting by blocking the steering and the steering lock if it does not recognize your motor vehicle key. It is closely linked to the starter switch which will integrate the key lock and an electric switch. There is a tendency to confuse the starter switch and the neiman, and when we talk about blocked neiman we often refer to a key that does not turn or does not turn well in the cylinder of the lock of your motor vehicle.
Why is the key stuck in your Opel Astra 5 ignition?
Now it’s time to show you to you why the key is stuck in your Opel Astra 5 ignition cylinder . Now that we’ve detailed what the ignition is, it’s time to find out why it’s stuck. If it is the steering wheel of your Opel Astra 5 that is blocked, do not hesitate to read our content page on this subject matter. A neiman is not a wearing part that you replace frequently but time has an influence on it and it can appear that you have to replace it due to regular wear and tear. Here are the different reasons of a ignition that locks on Opel Astra 5 :
- Normal wear and tear on the ignition barrel of your Opel Astra 5 : As we explained earlier, over time, the elements of the neiman can become seized up, or become packed with dust or small particles from the outside that will prevent it from working properly. In such a case, you should feel problems inserting and turning the key before it locks completely.
- A component of the ignition of your Opel Astra 5 that fails: In the same logic, an element of the neiman can fail. As we explained in introduction, when we mention the neiman we often include, the cylinder, the lock and the starter switch, if one of these parts is faulty, the neiman will not let the key turn in the cylinder of the lock
- Someone forced too much on the ignition barrel of your Opel Astra 5: At last, last possibility, and it’s more or less logical, if someone forced too much on the neiman in unlocking the steering wheel of your motor vehicle before, he may have twisted internal components and thus broken the neiman of it.
How do I unlock the key stuck in my Opel Astra 5 ignition barrel?
We now proceed to the solutions available to you for dealing with a key stuck in your Opel Astra 5 ignition . According to the source of your issue the solutions will not be the same, locate them below:
- Ignition barrel blocked due to a twisted key: If your key is twisted, it is obvious that your neiman will not unblock. Try softly with a mallet to straighten your key, if you can’t do it, use the copy of your key.
- Ignition cylinder If the neiman of your Opel Astra 5 is clogged due to impurities : Use a WD40 type degreaser and let it work for a short while, it should unblock the neiman of your Opel Astra 5.
- If your key is stuck in your ignition due to a faulty element: If finally it is due to an internal element that your ignition lock is no longer unblocked you will regrettably have to replace the whole block (electronic switch, lock cylinder, neiman), we suggest you to go to a expert who will also have to give you a new key to begin your Opel Astra 5.
To discover more tips on the Opel Astra 5, take a look at the Opel Astra 5 category.