We continue our series of web content on what can get stuck on your car. After discovering why your fuel flap or hood could get stuck, today we’ll take a look at why the key is stuck in your Lincoln MKZ ignition . Especially annoying, having a stuck ignition cylinder will prevent you from starting and consequently from using your car. We will consequently do everything we can to help you resolve this issue as quickly as possible. To do this, first, we will explain to you what the ignition of your car is used for, then in a second time, why the ignition barrel of your Lincoln MKZ is stuck? And, at last, how to unblock the key stuck in your Lincoln MKZ ignition.
What’s the purpose of my Lincoln MKZ’s ignition lock?
The ignition lock of your Lincoln MKZ is a secureness feature. Its aim is to protect your car from theft tries. It is installed on the steering column of your car, created in 1931 by Abram Neiman. Its aim is to prevent your Lincoln MKZ from starting by blocking the steering and the steering lock if it does not identify your car key. It is closely connected to the starter switch which will incorporate the key lock and an electric switch. There is a tendency to confuse the starter switch and the neiman, and when we talk about blocked neiman we quite often refer to a key that does not turn or does not turn well in the cylinder of the lock of your car.
Why is the key stuck in your Lincoln MKZ ignition?
Now it’s time to explain to you why the key is stuck in your Lincoln MKZ ignition cylinder . Now that we’ve detailed what the ignition is, it’s time to find out why it’s stuck. If it is the steering wheel of your Lincoln MKZ that is blocked, do not think twice to have a look at our content on this matter. A neiman is not a wearing component that you change repeatedly but time has an influence on it and it can happen that you have to change it due to regular wear and tear. On this website are the different explanations of a ignition that locks on Lincoln MKZ :
- Regular wear and tear on the ignition barrel of your Lincoln MKZ : As we said earlier, over time, the components of the neiman can become seized up, or become filled with dust or small particles from the outside that will prevent it from working correctly. In this case, you should feel struggle inserting and turning the key before it locks entirely.
- A component of the ignition of your Lincoln MKZ that fails: In the same logic, an element of the neiman can fail. As we explained in introduction, when we mention the neiman we often include, the cylinder, the lock and the starter switch, if one of these parts is defective, the neiman will not let the key turn in the cylinder of the lock
- Someone forced too much on the ignition barrel of your Lincoln MKZ: At last, last possibility, and it’s more or less obvious, if someone forced too much on the neiman in unlocking the steering wheel of your car before, he may have twisted internal components and thus broken the neiman of it.
How do I unlock the key stuck in my Lincoln MKZ ignition barrel?
We now proceed to the solutions available to you for solving a key stuck in your Lincoln MKZ ignition . Depending to the origin of your issue the solutions will not be the same, discover them down below:
- Ignition barrel blocked due to a twisted key: If your key is twisted, it is logical that your neiman will not unblock. Try softly with a mallet to straighten your key, if you can’t do it, use the copy of your key.
- Ignition cylinder If the neiman of your Lincoln MKZ is clogged due to impurities : Use a WD40 type degreaser and let it work for a short while, it should unblock the neiman of your Lincoln MKZ.
- If your key is stuck in your ignition due to a defective element: If finally it is due to an internal element that your ignition lock is no longer unblocked you will unfortunately have to change the whole block (electronic switch, lock cylinder, neiman), we advise you to go to a specialist who will also have to give you a new key to start your Lincoln MKZ.
If you want more tutorials on the Lincoln MKZ, go to our Lincoln MKZ category.