We continue our series of content articles on what can get stuck on your car. After discovering why your fuel flap or hood could get stuck, today we’ll take a look at why the key is stuck in your Lexus GX ignition . Particularly irritating, having a stuck ignition cylinder will prevent you from starting and consequently from utilising your car. We will so do everything we can to help you solve this problem as quickly as possible. To achieve this, first, we will explain to you what the ignition of your motor vehicle is used for, then in a second time, why the ignition barrel of your Lexus GX is stuck? And, to finish, how to unblock the key stuck in your Lexus GX ignition.
What’s the aim of my Lexus GX’s ignition lock?
The ignition lock of your Lexus GX is a security part. Its intent is to protect your car from theft tries. It is installed on the steering column of your car, invented in 1931 by Abram Neiman. Its intent is to prevent your Lexus GX from starting by blocking the steering and the steering lock if it does not recognize your car key. It is closely related to the starter switch which will integrate the key lock and an electric switch. There is a tendency to confuse the starter switch and the neiman, and when we speak about blocked neiman we often make reference to a key that does not turn or does not turn well in the cylinder of the lock of your car.
Why is the key stuck in your Lexus GX ignition?
Now it’s time to explain to you why the key is stuck in your Lexus GX ignition cylinder . Now that we’ve explained what the ignition is, it’s time to identify why it’s stuck. If it is the steering wheel of your Lexus GX that is blocked, do not hesitate to seek advice from our content on this subject. A neiman is not a wearing part that you change regularly but time has an influence on it and it can occur that you have to change it because of normal wear and tear. On this website are the different reasons of a ignition that locks on Lexus GX :
- Normal wear and tear on the ignition barrel of your Lexus GX : As we said above, over time, the components of the neiman can become seized up, or become packed with dust or small particles from the outside that will prevent it from working correctly. In this case, you should feel problems inserting and turning the key before it locks totally.
- An element of the ignition of your Lexus GX that breaks down: In the same logic, an element of the neiman can fail. As we explained in introduction, when we talk about the neiman we tend to include, the cylinder, the lock and the starter switch, if one of these parts is defective, the neiman will not let the key turn in the cylinder of the lock
- Someone forced too much on the ignition barrel of your Lexus GX: Finally, last possibility, and it’s more or less obvious, if someone forced too much on the neiman in unlocking the steering wheel of your car before, he may have twisted internal components and thus broken the neiman of it.
How do I unlock the key stuck in my Lexus GX ignition barrel?
We now move on to the solutions available to you for resolving a key stuck in your Lexus GX ignition . According to the source of your problem the solutions will not be the same, discover them down below:
- Ignition barrel blocked because of a twisted key: If your key is twisted, it is logical that your neiman will not unblock. Try carefully with a mallet to straighten your key, if you can’t do it, use the duplicate of your key.
- Ignition cylinder If the neiman of your Lexus GX is clogged because of impurities : Use a WD40 type degreaser and let it work for a few minutes, it should unblock the neiman of your Lexus GX.
- If your key is stuck in your ignition because of a defective element: If finally it is because of an internal element that your ignition lock is no longer unblocked you will regrettably have to change the whole block (electronic switch, lock cylinder, neiman), we advise you to go to a professional who will also have to give you a new key to start your Lexus GX.
To find more tips on the Lexus GX, take a look at the Lexus GX category.