We continue our series of content articles on what can get stuck on your motor vehicle. After discovering why your fuel flap or hood could get stuck, in this article we’ll check out why the key is stuck in your Lexus GS ignition . Especially annoying, having a stuck ignition cylinder will prevent you from starting and consequently from employing your motor vehicle. We will so do everything we can to help you fix this problem as soon as possible. To do this, first, we will explain to you what the ignition of your motor vehicle is used for, then in a second time, why the ignition barrel of your Lexus GS is stuck? And, finally, how to unblock the key stuck in your Lexus GS ignition.
What’s the aim of my Lexus GS’s ignition lock?
The ignition lock of your Lexus GS is a security component. Its intent is to secure your car from theft attempts. It is positioned on the steering column of your motor vehicle, created in 1931 by Abram Neiman. Its intent is to prevent your Lexus GS from starting by blocking the steering and the steering lock if it does not recognize your motor vehicle key. It is closely linked to the starter switch which will incorporate the key lock and an electric switch. There is a tendency to confuse the starter switch and the neiman, and when we speak about blocked neiman we generally refer to a key that does not turn or does not turn well in the cylinder of the lock of your motor vehicle.
Why is the key stuck in your Lexus GS ignition?
Now it’s time to explain to you why the key is stuck in your Lexus GS ignition cylinder . Now that we’ve described what the ignition is, it’s time to find out why it’s stuck. If it is the steering wheel of your Lexus GS that is blocked, do not think twice to browse our content page on this subject matter. A neiman is not a wearing part that you replace repeatedly but time has an influence on it and it can occur that you have to replace it because of normal wear and tear. Here are the different explanations of a ignition that locks on Lexus GS :
- Normal wear and tear on the ignition barrel of your Lexus GS : As we explained above, with time, the components of the neiman can become seized up, or become loaded with dust or small particles from the outside that will prevent it from working correctly. In such a case, you should feel complications inserting and turning the key before it locks entirely.
- A component of the ignition of your Lexus GS that breaks down: In the same logic, an element of the neiman can fail. As we revealed in introduction, when we mention the neiman we tend to include, the cylinder, the lock and the starter switch, if one of these parts is defective, the neiman will not let the key turn in the cylinder of the lock
- Someone forced too much on the ignition barrel of your Lexus GS: Finally, last opportunity, and it’s more or less rational, if someone forced too much on the neiman in unlocking the steering wheel of your motor vehicle before, he may have twisted internal elements and thus damaged the neiman of it.
How do I unlock the key stuck in my Lexus GS ignition barrel?
We now move on to the solutions available to you for handling a key stuck in your Lexus GS ignition . Depending to the origin of your problem the solutions will not be the same, discover them below:
- Ignition barrel blocked because of a twisted key: If your key is twisted, it is logical that your neiman will not unblock. Try carefully with a mallet to straighten your key, if you can’t do it, use the duplicate of your key.
- Ignition cylinder If the neiman of your Lexus GS is clogged because of impurities : Use a WD40 type degreaser and let it work for a couple of minutes, it should unblock the neiman of your Lexus GS.
- If your key is stuck in your ignition because of a defective element: If finally it is because of an internal element that your ignition lock is no longer unblocked you will unfortunately have to replace the whole block (electronic switch, lock cylinder, neiman), we recommend you to go to a professional who will as well have to give you a new key to begin your Lexus GS.
Whenever you have any further questions about the Lexus GS, do not hesitate to consult our Lexus GS category.