We continue our series of web content on what can get stuck on your car. After seeing why your fuel flap or hood could get stuck, in this article we’ll check out why the key is stuck in your Jeep Liberty ignition . Especially irritating, having a stuck ignition cylinder will prevent you from starting and therefore from utilising your car. We will consequently do everything we can to help you solve this problem as quickly as possible. To get this done, first, we will explain to you what the ignition of your motor vehicle is used for, then in a second time, why the ignition barrel of your Jeep Liberty is stuck? And, finally, how to unblock the key stuck in your Jeep Liberty ignition.
What’s the goal of my Jeep Liberty’s ignition lock?
The ignition lock of your Jeep Liberty is a security feature. Its aim is to secure your car from theft attempts. It is positioned on the steering column of your car, created in 1931 by Abram Neiman. Its aim is to prevent your Jeep Liberty from starting by blocking the steering and the steering lock if it does not recognize your car key. It is closely linked to the starter switch which will integrate the key lock and an electric switch. There is a tendency to confuse the starter switch and the neiman, and when we speak about blocked neiman we often make reference to a key that does not turn or does not turn well in the cylinder of the lock of your car.
Why is the key stuck in your Jeep Liberty ignition?
Now it’s time to explain to you why the key is stuck in your Jeep Liberty ignition cylinder . Now that we’ve detailed what the ignition is, it’s time to identify why it’s stuck. If it is the steering wheel of your Jeep Liberty that is blocked, do not think twice to browse our article on this subject matter. A neiman is not a wearing component that you replace frequently but time has an influence on it and it can appear that you have to replace it as a result of normal wear and tear. Here are the different reasons of a ignition that locks on Jeep Liberty :
- Normal wear and tear on the ignition barrel of your Jeep Liberty : As we explained earlier, with time, the components of the neiman can become seized up, or become loaded with dust or small particles from the outside that will prevent it from functioning properly. In this case, you should experience struggle inserting and turning the key before it locks totally.
- An element of the ignition of your Jeep Liberty that fails: In the same logic, an element of the neiman can fail. As we described in introduction, when we talk about the neiman we often include, the cylinder, the lock and the starter switch, if one of these parts is defective, the neiman will not let the key turn in the cylinder of the lock
- Someone forced too much on the ignition barrel of your Jeep Liberty: Finally, last possibility, and it’s more or less logical, if someone forced too much on the neiman in unlocking the steering wheel of your car before, he may have twisted internal elements and thus damaged the neiman of it.
How do I unlock the key stuck in my Jeep Liberty ignition barrel?
We now proceed to the solutions available to you for resolving a key stuck in your Jeep Liberty ignition . Depending to the origin of your problem the solutions will not be the same, find them down below:
- Ignition barrel blocked as a result of a twisted key: If your key is twisted, it is logical that your neiman will not unblock. Try carefully with a mallet to straighten your key, if you can’t do it, use the copy of your key.
- Ignition cylinder If the neiman of your Jeep Liberty is clogged as a result of impurities : Use a WD40 type degreaser and let it work for a few minutes, it should unblock the neiman of your Jeep Liberty.
- If your key is stuck in your ignition as a result of a defective element: If finally it is as a result of an internal element that your ignition lock is no longer unblocked you will unfortunately have to replace the whole block (electronic switch, lock cylinder, neiman), we recommend you to go to a expert who will as well have to give you a new key to start your Jeep Liberty.
If you have any further questions about the Jeep Liberty, do not hesitate to consult our Jeep Liberty category.