We continue our series of content articles on what can get stuck on your motor vehicle. After seeing why your fuel flap or hood could get stuck, in this article we’ll check out why the key is stuck in your Ford Focus ignition . Particularly annoying, having a stuck ignition cylinder will prevent you from starting and consequently from utilising your motor vehicle. We will therefore do everything we can to help you remedy this problem as quickly as possible. To do this, first, we will show you to you what the ignition of your motor vehicle is used for, then in a second time, why the ignition barrel of your Ford Focus is stuck? And, to finish, how to unblock the key stuck in your Ford Focus ignition.
What’s the purpose of my Ford Focus’s ignition lock?
The ignition lock of your Ford Focus is a secureness part. Its goal is to protect your car from theft attempts. It is placed on the steering column of your motor vehicle, invented in 1931 by Abram Neiman. Its goal is to prevent your Ford Focus from starting by blocking the steering and the steering lock if it does not recognize your motor vehicle key. It is closely linked to the starter switch which will incorporate the key lock and an electric switch. There is a tendency to confuse the starter switch and the neiman, and when we talk about blocked neiman we often refer to a key that does not turn or does not turn well in the cylinder of the lock of your motor vehicle.
Why is the key stuck in your Ford Focus ignition?
Now it’s time to show you to you why the key is stuck in your Ford Focus ignition cylinder . Now that we’ve explained what the ignition is, it’s time to find out why it’s stuck. If it is the steering wheel of your Ford Focus that is blocked, do not think twice to seek advice from our content page on this subject. A neiman is not a wearing component that you replace regularly but time has an influence on it and it can happen that you have to replace it because of normal wear and tear. Here are the different explanations of a ignition that locks on Ford Focus :
- Normal wear and tear on the ignition barrel of your Ford Focus : As we stated earlier, over time, the components of the neiman can become seized up, or become packed with dust or small particles from the outside that will prevent it from functioning properly. In this case, you should experience struggle inserting and turning the key before it locks entirely.
- An element of the ignition of your Ford Focus that breaks down: In the same logic, an element of the neiman can fail. As we described in introduction, when we speak about the neiman we often include, the cylinder, the lock and the starter switch, if one of these parts is defective, the neiman will not let the key turn in the cylinder of the lock
- Someone forced too much on the ignition barrel of your Ford Focus: At last, last opportunity, and it’s more or less obvious, if someone forced too much on the neiman in unlocking the steering wheel of your motor vehicle before, he may have twisted internal components and thus damaged the neiman of it.
How do I unlock the key stuck in my Ford Focus ignition barrel?
We now proceed to the solutions available to you for dealing with a key stuck in your Ford Focus ignition . According to the origin of your problem the solutions will not be similar, locate them below:
- Ignition barrel blocked because of a twisted key: If your key is twisted, it is logical that your neiman will not unblock. Try softly with a mallet to straighten your key, if you can’t do it, use the duplicate of your key.
- Ignition cylinder If the neiman of your Ford Focus is clogged because of impurities : Use a WD40 type degreaser and let it work for a few moments, it should unblock the neiman of your Ford Focus.
- If your key is stuck in your ignition because of a defective element: If finally it is because of an internal element that your ignition lock is no longer unblocked you will sadly have to replace the whole block (electronic switch, lock cylinder, neiman), we recommend you to go to a professional who will also have to give you a new key to begin your Ford Focus.
If you wish more guides on the Ford Focus, go to our Ford Focus category.