We continue our series of articles on what can get stuck on your car. After seeing why your fuel flap or hood could get stuck, today we’ll check out why the key is stuck in your Citroen C6 ignition . Particularly frustrating, having a stuck ignition cylinder will prevent you from starting and consequently from employing your car. We will so do everything we can to help you solve this issue as soon as possible. To do this, first, we will show you to you what the ignition of your car is used for, then in a second time, why the ignition barrel of your Citroen C6 is stuck? And, to conclude, how to unblock the key stuck in your Citroen C6 ignition.
What’s the purpose of my Citroen C6’s ignition lock?
The ignition lock of your Citroen C6 is a security part. Its aim is to protect your car from theft attempts. It is positioned on the steering column of your car, invented in 1931 by Abram Neiman. Its aim is to prevent your Citroen C6 from starting by blocking the steering and the steering lock if it does not recognize your car key. It is closely connected to the starter switch which will integrate the key lock and an electric switch. There is a tendency to confuse the starter switch and the neiman, and when we talk about blocked neiman we quite often make reference to a key that does not turn or does not turn well in the cylinder of the lock of your car.
Why is the key stuck in your Citroen C6 ignition?
Now it’s time to show you to you why the key is stuck in your Citroen C6 ignition cylinder . Now that we’ve described what the ignition is, it’s time to find out why it’s stuck. If it is the steering wheel of your Citroen C6 that is blocked, do not hesitate to seek advice from our content page on this subject matter. A neiman is not a wearing component that you replace repeatedly but time has an influence on it and it can appear that you have to replace it because of normal wear and tear. In this article are the different reasons of a ignition that locks on Citroen C6 :
- Regular wear and tear on the ignition barrel of your Citroen C6 : As we explained over, over time, the elements of the neiman can become seized up, or become loaded with dust or small particles from the outside that will prevent it from functioning effectively. In this case, you should feel complications inserting and turning the key before it locks completely.
- A component of the ignition of your Citroen C6 that breaks down: In the same logic, an element of the neiman can fail. As we explained in introduction, when we talk about the neiman we often include, the cylinder, the lock and the starter switch, if one of these parts is faulty, the neiman will not let the key turn in the cylinder of the lock
- Someone forced too much on the ignition barrel of your Citroen C6: At last, last opportunity, and it’s more or less obvious, if someone forced too much on the neiman in unlocking the steering wheel of your car before, he may have twisted internal elements and thus broken the neiman of it.
How do I unlock the key stuck in my Citroen C6 ignition barrel?
We now proceed to the solutions available to you for resolving a key stuck in your Citroen C6 ignition . Depending to the origin of your issue the solutions will not be similar, locate them down below:
- Ignition barrel blocked because of a twisted key: If your key is twisted, it is obvious that your neiman will not unblock. Try softly with a mallet to straighten your key, if you can’t do it, use the copy of your key.
- Ignition cylinder If the neiman of your Citroen C6 is clogged because of impurities : Use a WD40 type degreaser and let it work for a few minutes, it should unblock the neiman of your Citroen C6.
- If your key is stuck in your ignition because of a faulty element: If finally it is because of an internal element that your ignition lock is no longer unblocked you will regrettably have to replace the whole block (electronic switch, lock cylinder, neiman), we advise you to go to a specialist who will also have to give you a new key to start your Citroen C6.
Whenever you have any additional questions about the Citroen C6, do not hesitate to consult our Citroen C6 category.