We continue our series of articles on what can get stuck on your car. After discovering why your fuel flap or hood could get stuck, today we’ll take a look at why the key is stuck in your Chevrolet Traverse ignition . Particularly frustrating, having a stuck ignition cylinder will prevent you from starting and therefore from employing your car. We will consequently do everything we can to help you resolve this issue as quickly as possible. To get this done, first, we will show you to you what the ignition of your car is used for, then in a second time, why the ignition barrel of your Chevrolet Traverse is stuck? And, to finish, how to unblock the key stuck in your Chevrolet Traverse ignition.
What’s the intent of my Chevrolet Traverse’s ignition lock?
The ignition lock of your Chevrolet Traverse is a secureness feature. Its goal is to protect your car from theft attempts. It is placed on the steering column of your car, developed in 1931 by Abram Neiman. Its goal is to prevent your Chevrolet Traverse from starting by blocking the steering and the steering lock if it does not recognize your car key. It is closely connected to the starter switch which will incorporate the key lock and an electric switch. There is a tendency to confuse the starter switch and the neiman, and when we talk about blocked neiman we generally refer to a key that does not turn or does not turn well in the cylinder of the lock of your car.
Why is the key stuck in your Chevrolet Traverse ignition?
Now it’s time to show you to you why the key is stuck in your Chevrolet Traverse ignition cylinder . Now that we’ve explained what the ignition is, it’s time to identify why it’s stuck. If it is the steering wheel of your Chevrolet Traverse that is blocked, do not think twice to have a look at our content page on this matter. A neiman is not a wearing component that you change regularly but time has an influence on it and it can appear that you have to change it because of normal wear and tear. On this website are the different reasons of a ignition that locks on Chevrolet Traverse :
- Regular wear and tear on the ignition barrel of your Chevrolet Traverse : As we explained above, over time, the components of the neiman can become seized up, or become loaded with dust or small particles from the outside that will prevent it from working effectively. In this case, you should feel struggle inserting and turning the key before it locks totally.
- A component of the ignition of your Chevrolet Traverse that breaks down: In the same logic, an element of the neiman can fail. As we described in introduction, when we talk about the neiman we tend to include, the cylinder, the lock and the starter switch, if one of these parts is defective, the neiman will not let the key turn in the cylinder of the lock
- Someone forced too much on the ignition barrel of your Chevrolet Traverse: Finally, last opportunity, and it’s more or less logical, if someone forced too much on the neiman in unlocking the steering wheel of your car before, he may have twisted internal elements and thus broken the neiman of it.
How do I unlock the key stuck in my Chevrolet Traverse ignition barrel?
We now move on to the solutions available to you for handling a key stuck in your Chevrolet Traverse ignition . According to the origin of your issue the solutions will not be similar, find them down below:
- Ignition barrel blocked because of a twisted key: If your key is twisted, it is logical that your neiman will not unblock. Try gently with a mallet to straighten your key, if you can’t do it, use the copy of your key.
- Ignition cylinder If the neiman of your Chevrolet Traverse is clogged because of impurities : Use a WD40 type degreaser and let it work for a few moments, it should unblock the neiman of your Chevrolet Traverse.
- If your key is stuck in your ignition because of a defective element: If finally it is because of an internal element that your ignition lock is no longer unblocked you will regrettably have to change the whole block (electronic switch, lock cylinder, neiman), we recommend you to go to a expert who will as well have to give you a new key to begin your Chevrolet Traverse.
If you wish more tutorials on the Chevrolet Traverse, go to our Chevrolet Traverse category.