We continue our series of content articles on what can get stuck on your motor vehicle. After seeing why your fuel flap or hood could get stuck, today we’ll check out why the key is stuck in your BMW X1 ignition . Specially annoying, having a stuck ignition cylinder will prevent you from starting and consequently from employing your motor vehicle. We will so do everything we can to help you remedy this issue as quickly as possible. To achieve this, first, we will describe to you what the ignition of your car is used for, then in a second time, why the ignition barrel of your BMW X1 is stuck? And, finally, how to unblock the key stuck in your BMW X1 ignition.
What’s the intent of my BMW X1’s ignition lock?
The ignition lock of your BMW X1 is a secureness feature. Its purpose is to protect your car from theft tries. It is situated on the steering column of your motor vehicle, invented in 1931 by Abram Neiman. Its purpose is to prevent your BMW X1 from starting by blocking the steering and the steering lock if it does not identify your motor vehicle key. It is closely linked to the starter switch which will integrate the key lock and an electric switch. There is a tendency to confuse the starter switch and the neiman, and when we talk about blocked neiman we quite often make reference to a key that does not turn or does not turn well in the cylinder of the lock of your motor vehicle.
Why is the key stuck in your BMW X1 ignition?
Now it’s time to describe to you why the key is stuck in your BMW X1 ignition cylinder . Now that we’ve explained what the ignition is, it’s time to find out why it’s stuck. If it is the steering wheel of your BMW X1 that is blocked, do not hesitate to have a look at our content on this subject. A neiman is not a wearing part that you replace regularly but time has an influence on it and it can happen that you have to replace it due to regular wear and tear. In this article are the different reasons of a ignition that locks on BMW X1 :
- Normal wear and tear on the ignition barrel of your BMW X1 : As we stated over, over time, the elements of the neiman can become seized up, or become filled with dust or small particles from the outside that will prevent it from working correctly. In this case, you should feel issue inserting and turning the key before it locks completely.
- An element of the ignition of your BMW X1 that fails: In the same logic, an element of the neiman can fail. As we described in introduction, when we talk about the neiman we often include, the cylinder, the lock and the starter switch, if one of these parts is defective, the neiman will not let the key turn in the cylinder of the lock
- Someone forced too much on the ignition barrel of your BMW X1: Finally, last possibility, and it’s more or less logical, if someone forced too much on the neiman in unlocking the steering wheel of your motor vehicle before, he may have twisted internal elements and thus damaged the neiman of it.
How do I unlock the key stuck in my BMW X1 ignition barrel?
We now proceed to the solutions available to you for resolving a key stuck in your BMW X1 ignition . Depending to the origin of your issue the solutions will not be similar, locate them down below:
- Ignition barrel blocked due to a twisted key: If your key is twisted, it is logical that your neiman will not unblock. Try softly with a mallet to straighten your key, if you can’t do it, use the duplicate of your key.
- Ignition cylinder If the neiman of your BMW X1 is clogged due to impurities : Use a WD40 type degreaser and let it work for a short while, it should unblock the neiman of your BMW X1.
- If your key is stuck in your ignition due to a defective element: If finally it is due to an internal element that your ignition lock is no longer unblocked you will sadly have to replace the whole block (electronic switch, lock cylinder, neiman), we recommend you to go to a professional who will as well have to give you a new key to start your BMW X1.
If perhaps you have any additional questions about the BMW X1, do not hesitate to consult our BMW X1 category.