We continue our series of articles on what can get stuck on your motor vehicle. After seeing why your fuel flap or hood could get stuck, in this article we’ll take a look at why the key is stuck in your Alfa Romeo 156 ignition . Specially irritating, having a stuck ignition cylinder will prevent you from starting and consequently from utilising your motor vehicle. We will therefore do everything we can to help you fix this problem as soon as possible. To do this, first, we will describe to you what the ignition of your car is used for, then in a second time, why the ignition barrel of your Alfa Romeo 156 is stuck? And, to conclude, how to unblock the key stuck in your Alfa Romeo 156 ignition.
What’s the goal of my Alfa Romeo 156’s ignition lock?
The ignition lock of your Alfa Romeo 156 is a security component. Its goal is to protect your car from theft tries. It is situated on the steering column of your motor vehicle, created in 1931 by Abram Neiman. Its goal is to prevent your Alfa Romeo 156 from starting by blocking the steering and the steering lock if it does not identify your motor vehicle key. It is closely related to the starter switch which will incorporate the key lock and an electric switch. There is a tendency to confuse the starter switch and the neiman, and when we talk about blocked neiman we generally make reference to a key that does not turn or does not turn well in the cylinder of the lock of your motor vehicle.
Why is the key stuck in your Alfa Romeo 156 ignition?
Now it’s time to describe to you why the key is stuck in your Alfa Romeo 156 ignition cylinder . Now that we’ve described what the ignition is, it’s time to find out why it’s stuck. If it is the steering wheel of your Alfa Romeo 156 that is blocked, do not hesitate to seek advice from our content on this matter. A neiman is not a wearing component that you replace frequently but time has an influence on it and it can appear that you have to replace it as a result of regular wear and tear. In this article are the different explanations of a ignition that locks on Alfa Romeo 156 :
- Regular wear and tear on the ignition barrel of your Alfa Romeo 156 : As we stated over, over time, the components of the neiman can become seized up, or become loaded with dust or small particles from the outside that will prevent it from working properly. In such a case, you should feel issue inserting and turning the key before it locks totally.
- An element of the ignition of your Alfa Romeo 156 that breaks down: In the same logic, an element of the neiman can fail. As we described in introduction, when we mention the neiman we often include, the cylinder, the lock and the starter switch, if one of these parts is defective, the neiman will not let the key turn in the cylinder of the lock
- Someone forced too much on the ignition barrel of your Alfa Romeo 156: At last, last possibility, and it’s more or less logical, if someone forced too much on the neiman in unlocking the steering wheel of your motor vehicle before, he may have twisted internal components and thus broken the neiman of it.
How do I unlock the key stuck in my Alfa Romeo 156 ignition barrel?
We now move on to the solutions available to you for solving a key stuck in your Alfa Romeo 156 ignition . According to the origin of your problem the solutions will not be similar, locate them down below:
- Ignition barrel blocked as a result of a twisted key: If your key is twisted, it is obvious that your neiman will not unblock. Try carefully with a mallet to straighten your key, if you can’t do it, use the duplicate of your key.
- Ignition cylinder If the neiman of your Alfa Romeo 156 is clogged as a result of impurities : Use a WD40 type degreaser and let it work for a short while, it should unblock the neiman of your Alfa Romeo 156.
- If your key is stuck in your ignition as a result of a defective element: If finally it is as a result of an internal element that your ignition lock is no longer unblocked you will sadly have to replace the whole block (electronic switch, lock cylinder, neiman), we advise you to go to a professional who will also have to give you a new key to start your Alfa Romeo 156.
To find more tips on the Alfa Romeo 156, take a look at the Alfa Romeo 156 category.