Certain features on our automobiles enable you to benefit from serious driving comfort! Indeed, having a GPS built in in your car allows you to stay focused entirely on the road while driving to an unknown place without any problems. Nevertheless the road network is frequently developing, it is therefore important to update the GPS of your Volkswagen Polo 5 , and this is exactly what we will discover in this article. To do this, first we will review the different attributes of the integrated GPS for vehicles, and secondly, how to update the GPS of a Volkswagen Polo 5 .
How does onboard GPS work in a Volkswagen Polo 5
In this section we will see how the GPS of a Volkswagen Polo 5 works and what are the different sort of GPS.
The pros of an integrated GPS?
A built-in GPS provides many benefits that a smart phone GPS or Tomtom-type GPS will not be able to give you. Below is a list of the advantages of these devices:
- The fact that it is built in directly into the dashboard of your Volkswagen Polo 5 makes it difficult to steal the GPS from your car.
- Linked with your car’s radio antenna, the GPS will have better reception than any type of GPS you could use.
- It is often, in accordance with the year, connected to steering wheel voice commands, which allows you to use it without taking your hands off the wheel and therefore to drive more securely.
- The screen is in many instances much larger than a GPS on a smartphone or a nomadic type, so the information is more readable.
- Associated with your head unit, it can be coupled to music and just occur when you change direction, which limits the risk of you going off course as much as possible.
The different sort of GPS for Volkswagen Polo 5
After having discovered the advantages and before explaining to you how to update the GPS of your Volkswagen Polo 5 , we will fairly quickly illustrate the different types of built-in GPS that exist for a Volkswagen Polo 5, here they are:
- The traditional GPS: We call traditional GPS the models that equip recent vehicles, they are linked to a whole multimedia system and are equipped with a touch screen.
- The old GPS: These GPS were the first generations, the screen is only used for navigation and they are updated with a USB stick or SD card. These systems, nevertheless simple to use and have a lower screen quality, you’ll feel like you’re watching a TV from the 90’s.
- GPS Android Auto or Apple CarPlay: At last, last type of GPS, on the latest automobiles it is possible to have a system including Android or Apple, these systems are autonomous and you use the native applications of one of the two operating systems. They are very responsive and convenient to use.
How do I update the GPS on a Volkswagen Polo 5?
We will now move on to the part you are most enthusiastic about, how to update the GPS of your Volkswagen Polo 5? To do this, we will see for each type of GPS how the process of updating the cartography, the signalling and the software is done.
Updating old GPS on Volkswagen Polo 5
The old GPS systems present on the Volkswagen Polo 5 until the years 2000/2005, these GPS use a specific software for the brand and the method to update this GPS on a Volkswagen Polo 5 is to go to the dealer who will manage it, for a 50 euros most of the time.
Updating the GPS of Volkswagen Polo 5 by SD or USB
This type of GPS is most general on cars that are about ten years old. Most of the companies have called upon the company “HERE navigation” and you will have to go to their site to download the map update of your GPS, then copy it to a USB key or SD card based on the connectors available on your model and do the update directly through the menu of your integrated GPS.
Automatic GPS update
Most recent Volkswagen Polo 5’s with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay will update automatically, so there is no need for you to produce any updates. You can continue to use your GPS with secure feeling knowing that the map and speed limits are up to date.
If you want more tutorials on the Volkswagen Polo 5, go to our Volkswagen Polo 5 category.