Certain features on our vehicles allow you to benefit from heavy driving comfort! In truth, having a GPS integrated in your car allows you to stay focused on the road although driving to an unknown destination without any complications. However the road network is regularly developing, it is consequently important to update the GPS of your Volkswagen Golf , and this is precisely what we will see today. To do this, first we will review the different attributes of the integrated GPS for cars, and secondly, how to update the GPS of a Volkswagen Golf .
How does onboard GPS work in a Volkswagen Golf
In this section we will learn how the GPS of a Volkswagen Golf works and what are the different sort of GPS.
The advantages of an integrated GPS?
A built-in GPS gives many benefits that a smart phone GPS or Tomtom-type GPS will not have the ability to give you. Below is a list of the advantages of these devices:
- The point that it is integrated immediately into the dashboard of your Volkswagen Golf makes it impossible to steal the GPS from your car.
- Linked with your car’s radio antenna, the GPS will have better reception than any sort of GPS you could use.
- It is frequently, depending on the year, connected to steering wheel voice commands, which allows you to use it without taking your hands off the wheel and as a result to drive more securely.
- The screen is in most cases much larger than a GPS on a smartphone or a nomadic type, so the information is more readable.
- Linked to your speakers, it can be coupled to music and only appear when you change direction, which limits the risk of you going off course as much as possible.
The different sort of GPS for Volkswagen Golf
After having discovered the pros and before explaining to you how to update the GPS of your Volkswagen Golf , we will fairly quickly illustrate the different kind of built-in GPS that exist for a Volkswagen Golf, here they are:
- The traditional GPS: We call traditional GPS the models that equip recent cars, they are linked to a whole multimedia system and are equipped with a touch screen.
- The old GPS: These GPS were the first generations, the screen is only used for navigation and they are updated with a USB stick or SD card. These systems, nevertheless basic to use and have a lower screen quality, you’ll feel like you’re watching a TV from the 90’s.
- GPS Android Auto or Apple CarPlay: Finally, last sort of GPS, on the latest vehicles it is possible to have a system integrating Android or Apple, these systems are autonomous and you use the native applications of one of the two operating systems. They are very reactive and comfortable to use.
How do I update the GPS on a Volkswagen Golf?
We will now move on to the component you are most interested in, how to update the GPS of your Volkswagen Golf? To achieve this, we will see for each sort of GPS how the process of updating the cartography, the signalling and the software is done.
Updating old GPS on Volkswagen Golf
The old GPS systems present on the Volkswagen Golf until the years 2000/2005, these GPS use a specific software for the brand and the technique to update this GPS on a Volkswagen Golf is to go to the dealer who will take care of it, for a 50 euros in many instances.
Updating the GPS of Volkswagen Golf by SD or USB
This sort of GPS is most basic on cars that are about ten years old. Most of the companies have called upon the company “HERE navigation” and you will have to go to their site to download the map update of your GPS, then copy it to a USB key or SD card based on the connectors available on your model and do the update immediately through the menu of your integrated GPS.
Automatic GPS update
Most recent Volkswagen Golf’s with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay will update automatically, so there is no need for you to make any updates. You can continue to use your GPS with secure feeling knowing that the map and speed limits are up to date.
If you want more tutorials on the Volkswagen Golf, go to our Volkswagen Golf category.