Certain options on our vehicles enable you to benefit from significant driving comfort! Obviously, having a GPS integrated in your motor vehicle allows you to stay centered on the road while driving to an unknown destination without any problems. However the road network is continuously developing, it is consequently vital to update the GPS of your Ram P/U , and this is exactly what we will see in this article. To do so, first we will review the different attributes of the integrated GPS for vehicles, and secondly, how to update the GPS of a Ram P/U .
How does onboard GPS function in a Ram P/U
In this section we will discover how the GPS of a Ram P/U works and what are the different kind of GPS.
The advantages of an integrated GPS?
A built-in GPS presents many features that a mobile phone GPS or Tomtom-type GPS will not have the ability to give you. Down below is a list of the advantages of these devices:
- The fact that it is integrated directly into the dashboard of your Ram P/U makes it hopeless to steal the GPS from your motor vehicle.
- Linked with your car’s radio antenna, the GPS will have better reception than any form of GPS you could use.
- It is often, in accordance with the year, linked to steering wheel voice commands, which allows you to use it without taking your hands off the wheel and consequently to drive more safely.
- The screen is in most instances much larger than a GPS on a smartphone or a nomadic type, so the information is more readable.
- Connected to your head unit, it can be coupled to music and only happen when you replace direction, which limits the risk of you going off course as much as possible.
The different kind of GPS for Ram P/U
After having discovered the positive aspects and before detailing to you how to update the GPS of your Ram P/U , we will fairly quickly describe the different types of built-in GPS that exist for a Ram P/U, here they are:
- The traditional GPS: We call traditional GPS the models that equip recent vehicles, they are related to a complete multimedia system and are equipped with a touch screen.
- The old GPS: These GPS were the first generations, the screen is only used for navigation and they are updated with a USB stick or SD card. These systems, nevertheless very easy to use and have a lower screen quality, you’ll feel like you’re watching a TV from the 90’s.
- GPS Android Auto or Apple CarPlay: Finally, last type of GPS, on the latest vehicles it is possible to have a system including Android or Apple, these systems are autonomous and you use the native applications of one of the two operating systems. They are very reactive and easy to use.
How do I update the GPS on a Ram P/U?
We will now proceed to the component you are most enthusiastic about, how to update the GPS of your Ram P/U? To achieve this, we will see for each type of GPS how the process of updating the cartography, the signalling and the software is done.
Updating old GPS on Ram P/U
The old GPS systems found on the Ram P/U until the years 2000/2005, these GPS use a particular software for the brand and the technique to update this GPS on a Ram P/U is to go to the dealer who will manage it, for a 50 euros in most instances.
Updating the GPS of Ram P/U by SD or USB
This type of GPS is most common on cars that are about ten years old. Most of the makers have called upon the company “HERE navigation” and you will have to go to their site to download the map update of your GPS, then transfer it to a USB key or SD card based on the connectors available on your model and do the update directly through the menu of your integrated GPS.
Automatic GPS update
Most recent Ram P/U’s with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay will update automatically, so there is no need for you to produce any updates. You can continue to use your GPS with comfort knowing that the map and speed limits are up to date.
To get more tips on the Ram P/U, take a look at the Ram P/U category.