Certain features on our automobiles allow you to benefit from heavy driving comfort! Indeed, having a GPS built in in your motor vehicle enables you to stay focused on the road although driving to an unknown place without any problems. However the road network is constantly developing, it is therefore important to update the GPS of your Honda Pilot , and this is accurately what we will discover in this article. To do this, first we will review the different characteristics of the integrated GPS for cars, and secondly, how to update the GPS of a Honda Pilot .
How does onboard GPS function in a Honda Pilot
In this part we will learn how the GPS of a Honda Pilot works and what are the different types of GPS.
The features of an integrated GPS?
A built-in GPS presents many features that a mobile phone GPS or Tomtom-type GPS will not have the ability to give you. Down below is a list of the advantages of these devices:
- The point that it is built in directly into the dashboard of your Honda Pilot makes it hopeless to steal the GPS from your motor vehicle.
- Connected to your car’s radio antenna, the GPS will have better reception than any type of GPS you could use.
- It is often, dependent on the year, linked to steering wheel voice commands, which enables you to use it without taking your hands off the wheel and therefore to drive more safely.
- The screen is in most cases much larger than a GPS on a smartphone or a nomadic type, so the info is more readable.
- Linked to your speakers, it can be coupled to music and just happen when you replace direction, which limits the risk of you going off course as much as possible.
The different types of GPS for Honda Pilot
After having discovered the pros and before explaining to you how to update the GPS of your Honda Pilot , we will quickly summarize the different kind of built-in GPS that exist for a Honda Pilot, here they are:
- The classic GPS: We call classic GPS the models that equip recent cars, they are related to a whole multimedia system and are equipped with a touch screen.
- The old GPS: These GPS were the first generations, the screen is only used for navigation and they are updated with a USB stick or SD card. These systems, although simple to use and have a lower screen quality, you’ll experience like you’re watching a TV from the 90’s.
- GPS Android Auto or Apple CarPlay: Finally, last sort of GPS, on the latest vehicles it is possible to have a system integrating Android or Apple, these systems are autonomous and you use the native applications of one of the two operating systems. They are very responsive and convenient to use.
How do I update the GPS on a Honda Pilot?
We will now proceed to the part you are most interested in, how to update the GPS of your Honda Pilot? To achieve this, we will see for each sort of GPS how the process of updating the cartography, the signalling and the software is done.
Updating old GPS on Honda Pilot
The old GPS systems included on the Honda Pilot until the years 2000/2005, these GPS use a specific software for the brand and the approach to update this GPS on a Honda Pilot is to go to the car dealership who will handle it, for a 50 euros most frequently.
Updating the GPS of Honda Pilot by SD or USB
This sort of GPS is most basic on cars that are about ten years old. Most of the companies have called upon the company “HERE navigation” and you will have to go to their site to download the map update of your GPS, then transfer it to a USB key or SD card depending on the connectors available on your model and do the update directly through the menu of your integrated GPS.
Automatic GPS update
Most recent Honda Pilot’s with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay will update automatically, so there is no need for you to make any updates. You can continue to use your GPS with peace of mind knowing that the map and speed limits are up to date.
If you wish more tutorials on the Honda Pilot, go to our Honda Pilot category.