Certain features on our automobiles allow you to benefit from significant driving comfort! In actual fact, having a GPS built in in your motor vehicle enables you to stay centered on the road although driving to an unknown place without any complications. However the road network is regularly developing, it is consequently vital to update the GPS of your BMW X5 , and this is accurately what we will see today. To do so, first we will talk about the different attributes of the integrated GPS for vehicles, and secondly, how to update the GPS of a BMW X5 .
How does onboard GPS work in a BMW X5
In this part we will discover how the GPS of a BMW X5 works and what are the different kind of GPS.
The advantages of an integrated GPS?
A built-in GPS presents many features that a mobile phone GPS or Tomtom-type GPS will not have the ability to give you. Down below is a list of the advantages of these devices:
- The fact that it is built in immediately into the dashboard of your BMW X5 makes it impossible to steal the GPS from your motor vehicle.
- Connected to your car’s radio antenna, the GPS will have better reception than any sort of GPS you could use.
- It is very often, depending on the year, connected to steering wheel voice commands, which enables you to use it without taking your hands off the wheel and so to drive more securely.
- The screen is in most instances much larger than a GPS on a smartphone or a nomadic type, so the information is more readable.
- Associated with your sound system, it can be coupled to music and just appear when you replace direction, which limits the risk of you going off course as much as possible.
The different kind of GPS for BMW X5
After having seen the advantages and before explaining to you how to update the GPS of your BMW X5 , we will fairly quickly describe the different sort of integrated GPS that exist for a BMW X5, here they are:
- The classic GPS: We call classic GPS the models that equip recent vehicles, they are related to a complete multimedia system and are equipped with a touch screen.
- The old GPS: These GPS were the first generations, the screen is only used for navigation and they are updated with a USB stick or SD card. These systems, although very easy to use and have a lower screen quality, you’ll feel like you’re watching a TV from the 90’s.
- GPS Android Auto or Apple CarPlay: At last, last kind of GPS, on the latest vehicles it is possible to have a system integrating Android or Apple, these systems are autonomous and you use the native applications of one of the two operating systems. They are very responsive and convenient to use.
How do I update the GPS on a BMW X5?
We will now move on to the part you are most interested in, how to update the GPS of your BMW X5? To get this done, we will see for each kind of GPS how the process of updating the cartography, the signalling and the software is done.
Updating old GPS on BMW X5
The old GPS systems present on the BMW X5 until the years 2000/2005, these GPS use a specific software for the brand and the technique to update this GPS on a BMW X5 is to go to the dealer who will handle it, for a 50 euros most of the time.
Updating the GPS of BMW X5 by SD or USB
This kind of GPS is most common on cars that are about ten years old. Most of the car companies have called upon the company “HERE navigation” and you will have to go to their site to download the map update of your GPS, then copy it to a USB key or SD card based on the connectors available on your model and do the update immediately through the menu of your integrated GPS.
Automatic GPS update
Most recent BMW X5’s with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay will update automatically, so there is no need for you to produce any updates. You can continue to use your GPS with peace of mind knowing that the map and speed limits are up to date.
Whenever you have any further questions about the BMW X5, do not hesitate to consult our BMW X5 category.