Our vehicles benefit from more and more technologies, most of the time this provides us an additional comfort of use. Having said that, technology has its positive aspects, but also has some disadvantages, with it, we discover bugs appearing! One of them is the Start and Stop feature, which is intended to help you save fuel and preserve the planet. You may come across complications and want to turn off the start stop technology on Volkswagen Rabbit . But how do I do that? In this article we will help you figure out how this system functions, how to disable start and stop on xxx, and what are the recurring complications you may confront with this option.
How does the Start Stop on Volkswagen Rabbit work?
Start Stop technology operation
Start Stop is a latest technology that began to be included into modern automobiles about ten years ago. This technology aims to limit the fuel consumption of your Volkswagen Rabbit and to preserve the environment by limiting CO2 emissions. Its effectiveness is specifically relevant in an urban environment. In truth, vehicles can be made to spend up to 35% of their time at a standstill during urban journeys. The promise of start and stop on your car is to save you between 5% and 15% in fuel consumption. Nevertheless, on long trips or secondary roads, its usefulness is limited. How it functions:
- A reinforced starter or a last generation alternator with integrated starter
- When you shift into neutral and release the clutch pedal, the engine will shut off.
- When you shift into gear, the car will immediately restart.
On some superior variants, your Volkswagen Rabbit will even be able to shut down while you are not stopped (up to 20km/h on some start and stop).
Start Stop Volkswagen Rabbit: Advantages and disadvantages
Although this system has serious positive aspects in terms of environmental conservation and fuel economy, there are nevertheless some disadvantages to having a start and stop on Volkswagen Rabbit .
You will make fuel and CO2 emission savings if you have a specifically urban use of your Volkswagen Rabbit. You will too. Furthermore, you will be able to benefit from the purchase of a vehicle with a more interesting bonus/malus, permitting you to to buy a cheaper vehicle . At last, you will benefit from an additional comfort because your engine will be stopped when you complete red lights or stops.
It’s not interesting for you to have this system if you drive on secondary roads . This system is quite expensive to buy (between 500 and 1500€) . At last, the first generations of start stop technology can undergo a premature wear of the starter and the battery of your Volkswagen Rabbit. you will have to buy or change your battery more quite often,
How to turn off Start Stop technology on Volkswagen Rabbit?
Now let’s move on to the part you’re probably most enthusiastic about, how to turn off, disconnect or take out the start stop on your Volkswagen Rabbit? .
Depending on how you use your vehicle, you may need to turn off this system, which can be annoying or you may feel that your starter is experiencing premature wear, or you may have had to purchase a new AGM or EFB battery on your Volkswagen Rabbit . All these are valid causes to disable your start and stop system.
Here are the two main techniques for disabling the start and stop on Volkswagen Rabbit:
- The traditional approach: Know, if you don’t already know it, that there is a start and stop disable button on your center console (depending on the year of your vehicle you may have a button labeled “ECO”, “Start and Stop” or “S&S”) that you can use to disconnect your start and stop on every start. Nevertheless, this approach necessitates you to redo the manipulation every time you start the motor vehicle.
- It is possible that the start and stop of your Volkswagen Rabbit is switched off totally: It is possible that the start and stop of your Volkswagen Rabbit is switched on unintentionally, or that it does not match the use you have of your vehicle. In this case, you can disable it by two different ways. You can create a bridge at the rear of the activation button of your start and stop . At last, second approach you can disconnect the battery charge indicator cable that is on the terminals of your battery, which will make your Volkswagen Rabbit presume that the battery is tired and will deactivate the start and stop to preserve your autonomy.
Start Stop Technology complications Volkswagen Rabbit
Concerning the different problems you might encountered with the start and stop of your Volkswagen Rabbit . It is possible that this is activated in an unexpected method , for example you are doing a manoeuvre and you don’t have time to replace to reverse gear and the vehicle stops. It is possible that this problem is associated with the series of your Volkswagen Rabbit. Try to completely deactivate your Start and Stop as discovered in the previous section to avoid this problem or go to your garage to discover if there is a particular solution. Another problem encountered by Volkswagen Rabbit owners is that you may experience premature wear of your battery or starter motor. These particular parts for start and stop are expensive, and if you have already looked at the battery prices for xxx or those of the starters you must have realized that they are much more expensive than traditional batteries, do not hesitate to deactivate this system to avoid this kind of problem. Finally, it might be that your start and stop on Volkswagen Rabbit does not work anymore , in such a case, go to your mechanic to solve this problem.
If you wish more tutorials on the Volkswagen Rabbit, go to our Volkswagen Rabbit category.