Our automobiles benefit from increasingly more technologies, in most cases this provides us an additional comfort of use. Having said that, technology has its pros, but also has some drawbacks, with it, we see bugs appearing! One of them is the Start and Stop feature, which is designed to help you save fuel and preserve the planet. You may come across complications and want to turn off the start stop technology on Volkswagen Passat 8 . But how do I do that? In this post we will help you discover how this system functions, how to disable start and stop on xxx, and what are the recurring complications you may come across with this option.
How does the Start Stop on Volkswagen Passat 8 work?
Start Stop technology operation
Start Stop is a modern technology that began to be incorporated into recent vehicles about ten years ago. This technology is designed to limit the fuel consumption of your Volkswagen Passat 8 and to protect the environment by limiting CO2 emissions. Its convenience is principally important in an urban environment. Indeed, automobiles can be made to spend up to 35% of their time at a standstill during urban journeys. The promise of start and stop on your car is to save you between 5% and 15% in fuel consumption. However, on long travels or secondary roads, its usefulness is limited. How it functions:
- A reinforced starter or a last generation alternator with integrated starter
- When you shift into neutral and release the clutch pedal, the engine unit will shut off.
- When you shift into gear, the car will instantly restart.
On some improved variants, your Volkswagen Passat 8 will even have the ability to shut down although you are not stopped (up to 20km/h on some start and stop).
Start Stop Volkswagen Passat 8: Pros and drawbacks
Nevertheless this system has significant pros in terms of environmental preservation and fuel economy, there are however some drawbacks to having a start and stop on Volkswagen Passat 8 .
You will make fuel and CO2 emission savings if you have a principally urban use of your Volkswagen Passat 8. You will too. In addition, you will have the ability to benefit from the purchase of a vehicle with a more interesting bonus/malus, permitting you to to buy a cheaper car . Finally, you will benefit from an additional comfort because your engine unit will be stopped when you pass red lights or stops.
It’s not interesting for you to have this system if you drive on secondary roads . This system is quite expensive to buy (between 500 and 1500€) . Finally, the first generations of start stop technology can go through a premature wear of the starter and the battery of your Volkswagen Passat 8. you will have to buy or change your battery more often,
How to turn off Start Stop technology on Volkswagen Passat 8?
Now let’s move on to the part you’re probably most interested in, how to disable, disconnect or take out the start stop on your Volkswagen Passat 8? .
Based on how you use your car, you may want to disable this system, which can be annoying or you may feel that your starter is going through premature wear, or you may have had to purchase a new AGM or EFB battery on your Volkswagen Passat 8 . All these are valid factors to disable your start and stop system.
On this website are the two most important techniques for disabling the start and stop on Volkswagen Passat 8:
- The traditional approach: Know, if you don’t already know it, that there is a start and stop disable button on your center console (depending on the year of your car you may have a button labeled “ECO”, “Start and Stop” or “S&S”) that you can use to disconnect your start and stop on every begin. However, this approach requires you to redo the treatment every time you start the car.
- It is possible that the start and stop of your Volkswagen Passat 8 is switched off totally: It is possible that the start and stop of your Volkswagen Passat 8 is switched on accidentally, or that it does not match the use you have of your car. In this case, you can disable it by two different ways. You can create a bridge behind the activation button of your start and stop . Finally, second approach you can disconnect the battery charge indicator cable that is on the terminals of your battery, which will produce your Volkswagen Passat 8 presume that the battery is tired and will deactivate the start and stop to preserve your autonomy.
Start Stop Technology complications Volkswagen Passat 8
Concerning the different concerns you might encountered with the start and stop of your Volkswagen Passat 8 . It is possible that this is activated in an unexpected method , for example you are doing a manoeuvre and you don’t have time to change to reverse gear and the car stops. It is possible that this problem is associated with the series of your Volkswagen Passat 8. Try to completely deactivate your Start and Stop as seen in the previous section to avoid this issue or go to your garage to see if there is a specific solution. Another problem encountered by Volkswagen Passat 8 owners is that you may encounter premature wear of your battery or starter motor. These specific parts for start and stop are expensive, and if you have already looked over the battery prices for xxx or those of the starters you must have noticed that they are much more expensive than classic batteries, do not think twice to deactivate this system to avoid this kind of issue. Finally, it may be that your start and stop on Volkswagen Passat 8 does not work anymore , in such a case, go to your motor mechanic to solve this issue.
If you need more tutorials on the Volkswagen Passat 8, go to our Volkswagen Passat 8 category.