Our cars profit from increasingly more technologies, generally speaking this provides us an additional comfort of use. Having said that, technology has its pros, but also has some cons, with it, we see bugs showing up! One of them is the Start and Stop feature, which is meant to help you save fuel and preserve the planet. You may encounter complications and want to turn off the start stop technology on Toyota Corolla . But how do I do that? In this post we will help you figure out how this system functions, how to disable start and stop on xxx, and what are the repeated complications you may come across with this option.
How does the Start Stop on Toyota Corolla work?
Start Stop technology operation
Start Stop is a latest technology that began to be incorporated into modern vehicles about ten years ago. This technology aims to limit the fuel consumption of your Toyota Corolla and to preserve the environment by limiting CO2 emissions. Its effectiveness is principally relevant in an urban environment. In fact, cars can be made to spend up to 35% of their time at a standstill during urban journeys. The promise of start and stop on your vehicle is to save you between 5% and 15% in fuel consumption. However, on long journeys or secondary roads, its usefulness is limited. How it functions:
- A reinforced starter or a last generation alternator with integrated starter
- When you shift into neutral and release the clutch pedal, the engine will shut off.
- When you shift into gear, the car will immediately restart.
On some superior types, your Toyota Corolla will even be able to shut down while you are not stopped (up to 20km/h on some start and stop).
Start Stop Toyota Corolla: Positive aspects and cons
Nevertheless this system has serious pros in terms of environmental preservation and fuel economy, there are however some cons to having a start and stop on Toyota Corolla .
You will make fuel and CO2 emission savings if you have a principally urban use of your Toyota Corolla. You will too. Furthermore, you will be able to profit from the purchase of a vehicle with a more interesting bonus/malus, permitting you to to buy a cheaper car . Finally, you will profit from an additional comfort because your engine will be stopped when you complete red lights or stops.
It’s not interesting for you to have this system if you drive on secondary roads . This system is quite expensive to buy (between 500 and 1500€) . Finally, the first generations of start stop technology can undergo a premature wear of the starter and the battery of your Toyota Corolla. you will have to buy or change your battery more generally,
How to turn off Start Stop technology on Toyota Corolla?
Now let’s move on to the part you’re probably most interested in, how to deactivate, disconnect or remove the start stop on your Toyota Corolla? .
Based on how you use your car, you may need to deactivate this system, which can be bothersome or you may experience that your starter is encountering premature wear, or you may have had to purchase a new AGM or EFB battery on your Toyota Corolla . All these are valid reasons to disable your start and stop system.
Here are the two main techniques for turning off the start and stop on Toyota Corolla:
- The traditional technique: Know, if you don’t already know it, that there is a start and stop disable button on your center console (depending on the year of your car you may have a button labeled “ECO”, “Start and Stop” or “S&S”) that you can use to disconnect your start and stop on every begin. However, this technique requires you to redo the manipulation every time you start the motor vehicle.
- It is possible that the start and stop of your Toyota Corolla is switched off completely: It is possible that the start and stop of your Toyota Corolla is switched on unintentionally, or that it does not correspond to the use you have of your car. In such a case, you can disable it by two different ways. You can create a bridge at the rear of the activation button of your start and stop . Finally, second technique you can disconnect the battery charge indicator cable that is on the terminals of your battery, which will produce your Toyota Corolla presume that the battery is tired and will deactivate the start and stop to protect your autonomy.
Start Stop Technology complications Toyota Corolla
Concerning the different problems you might encounter with the start and stop of your Toyota Corolla . It is possible that this is activated in an unexpected technique , for example you are doing a manoeuvre and you don’t have time to replace to reverse gear and the car stops. It is possible that this problem is associated with the series of your Toyota Corolla. Try to completely deactivate your Start and Stop as discovered in the previous section to avoid this problem or go to your mechanic to see if there is a particular solution. Another problem experienced by Toyota Corolla owners is that you may experience premature wear of your battery or starter motor. These particular parts for start and stop are expensive, and if you have already checked out the battery prices for xxx or those of the starters you must have noticed that they are much more expensive than classic batteries, do not think twice to deactivate this system to avoid this kind of problem. Finally, it might be that your start and stop on Toyota Corolla does not work anymore , in such a case, go to your motor mechanic to correct this problem.
To discover more tips on the Toyota Corolla, take a look at the Toyota Corolla category.