Our vehicles benefit from more and more technologies, generally speaking this brings us an additional comfort of use. Having said that, technology has its pros, but also has some disadvantages, with it, we discover bugs appearing! One of them is the Start and Stop feature, which is intended to help you save fuel and preserve the planet. You may encounter problems and want to turn off the start stop technology on Toyota Camry . But how do I do that? In this post we will help you figure out how this system works, how to disable start and stop on xxx, and what are the recurring problems you may encountered with this option.
How does the Start Stop on Toyota Camry work?
Start Stop technology operation
Start Stop is a recent technology that began to be included into recent vehicles about ten years ago. This technology aims to limit the fuel consumption of your Toyota Camry and to protect the environment by limiting CO2 emissions. Its effectiveness is specifically important in an urban environment. In actual fact, vehicles can be made to spend up to 35% of their time at a standstill during urban journeys. The guarantee of start and stop on your vehicle is to save you between 5% and 15% in fuel consumption. However, on long journeys or secondary roads, its usefulness is limited. How it works:
- A reinforced starter or a last generation alternator with included starter
- When you shift into neutral and release the clutch pedal, the engine unit will shut off.
- When you shift into gear, the car will automatically restart.
On some superior versions, your Toyota Camry will even be able to shut down while you are not stopped (up to 20km/h on some start and stop).
Start Stop Toyota Camry: Positive aspects and disadvantages
Nevertheless this system has real pros in terms of environmental preservation and fuel economy, there are nevertheless some disadvantages to having a start and stop on Toyota Camry .
You will make fuel and CO2 emission savings if you have a specifically urban use of your Toyota Camry. You will too. In addition, you will be able to advantage from the purchase of a car with a more interesting bonus/malus, permitting you to to buy a cheaper car . Finally, you will advantage from an additional comfort because your engine unit will be stopped when you complete red lights or stops.
It’s not interesting for you to have this system if you drive on secondary roads . This system is quite expensive to buy (between 500 and 1500€) . Finally, the first generations of start stop technology can go through a premature wear of the starter and the battery of your Toyota Camry. you will have to buy or change your battery more often,
How to turn off Start Stop technology on Toyota Camry?
Now let’s proceed to the component you’re probably most keen on, how to deactivate, disconnect or take out the start stop on your Toyota Camry? .
Depending on how you use your car, you may want to deactivate this system, which can be bothersome or you may feel that your starter is going through premature wear, or you may have had to purchase a new AGM or EFB battery on your Toyota Camry . All these are valid causes to disable your start and stop system.
In this article are the two most important techniques for turning off the start and stop on Toyota Camry:
- The traditional method: Know, if you don’t already know it, that there is a start and stop disable button on your center console (depending on the year of your car you may have a button labeled “ECO”, “Start and Stop” or “S&S”) that you can use to disconnect your start and stop on every begin. However, this method necessitates you to redo the manipulation every time you start the car.
- It is possible that the start and stop of your Toyota Camry is switched off completely: It is possible that the start and stop of your Toyota Camry is switched on unintentionally, or that it does not correspond to the use you have of your car. In this case, you can disable it by two different methods. You can create a bridge behind the activation button of your start and stop . Finally, second method you can disconnect the battery charge indicator cable that is on the terminals of your battery, which will produce your Toyota Camry think that the battery is tired and will deactivate the start and stop to preserve your autonomy.
Start Stop Technology problems Toyota Camry
Concerning the different concerns you might come across with the start and stop of your Toyota Camry . It is possible that this is activated in an unpredicted method , for example you are doing a manoeuvre and you don’t have time to replace to reverse gear and the car stops. It is possible that this problem is related to the series of your Toyota Camry. Try to completely deactivate your Start and Stop as seen in the previous section to avoid this problem or go to your garage area to discover if there is a specific remedy. Another problem experienced by Toyota Camry owners is that you may experience premature wear of your battery or starter motor. These specific parts for start and stop are expensive, and if you have already looked over the battery prices for xxx or those of the starters you must have discovered that they are much more expensive than classic batteries, do not think twice to deactivate this system to avoid this sort of problem. Finally, it may be that your start and stop on Toyota Camry does not work anymore , in this case, go to your mechanic to correct this problem.
To find more tips on the Toyota Camry, take a look at the Toyota Camry category.