Our vehicles profit from increasingly more technologies, in most cases this brings us an additional comfort of use. Having said that, technology has its positive aspects, but as well has some down sides, with it, we discover bugs appearing! One of them is the Start and Stop feature, which is designed to help you save fuel and preserve the planet. You may come across complications and want to turn off the start stop technology on Mercedes Classe M . But how do I do that? In this article we will help you discover how this system works, how to disable start and stop on xxx, and what are the recurring complications you may encounter with this option.
How does the Start Stop on Mercedes Classe M work?
Start Stop technology operation
Start Stop is a modern technology that began to be incorporated into modern automobiles about ten years ago. This technology is designed to limit the fuel consumption of your Mercedes Classe M and to preserve the environment by limiting CO2 emissions. Its usefulness is mainly important in an urban environment. In fact, vehicles can be made to spend up to 35% of their time at a standstill during urban journeys. The promise of start and stop on your car is to save you between 5% and 15% in fuel consumption. Nevertheless, on long travels or secondary roads, its usefulness is limited. How it works:
- A reinforced starter or a last generation alternator with included starter
- When you shift into neutral and release the clutch pedal, the engine unit will shut off.
- When you shift into gear, the car will immediately restart.
On some improved variants, your Mercedes Classe M will even be able to shut down while you are not stopped (up to 20km/h on some start and stop).
Start Stop Mercedes Classe M: Pros and down sides
Nevertheless this system has real positive aspects in terms of environmental preservation and fuel economy, there are nevertheless some down sides to having a start and stop on Mercedes Classe M .
You will make fuel and CO2 emission savings if you have a mainly urban use of your Mercedes Classe M. You will too. Furthermore, you will be able to profit from the purchase of a car with a more interesting bonus/malus, permitting you to to buy a cheaper car . At last, you will profit from an additional comfort because your engine unit will be stopped when you pass red lights or stops.
It’s not interesting for you to have this system if you drive on secondary roads . This system is actually quite expensive to buy (between 500 and 1500€) . At last, the first generations of start stop technology can suffer a premature wear of the starter and the battery of your Mercedes Classe M. you will have to buy or change your battery more quite often,
How to turn off Start Stop technology on Mercedes Classe M?
Now let’s proceed to the part you’re probably most interested in, how to disable, disconnect or take out the start stop on your Mercedes Classe M? .
Based on how you use your car, you may need to disable this system, which can be frustrating or you may experience that your starter is experiencing premature wear, or you may have had to purchase a new AGM or EFB battery on your Mercedes Classe M . All these are valid causes to disable your start and stop system.
On this website are the two main techniques for turning off the start and stop on Mercedes Classe M:
- The traditional approach: Know, if you don’t already know it, that there is a start and stop disable button on your center console (depending on the year of your car you may have a button labeled “ECO”, “Start and Stop” or “S&S”) that you can use to disconnect your start and stop on every start. Nevertheless, this approach needs you to redo the manipulation every time you start the motor vehicle.
- It is possible that the start and stop of your Mercedes Classe M is switched off totally: It is possible that the start and stop of your Mercedes Classe M is switched on unintentionally, or that it does not match the use you have of your car. In such a case, you can disable it by two different solutions. You can create a bridge at the rear of the activation button of your start and stop . At last, second approach you can disconnect the battery charge indicator cable that is on the terminals of your battery, which will produce your Mercedes Classe M presume that the battery is tired and will deactivate the start and stop to keep your autonomy.
Start Stop Technology complications Mercedes Classe M
Concerning the different concerns you might encountered with the start and stop of your Mercedes Classe M . It is possible that this is activated in an unpredicted technique , for example you are doing a manoeuvre and you don’t have time to change to reverse gear and the car stops. It is possible that this problem is related to the series of your Mercedes Classe M. Try to completely deactivate your Start and Stop as seen in the previous section to avoid this issue or go to your garage to discover if there is a specific remedy. Another problem encountered by Mercedes Classe M owners is that you may encounter premature wear of your battery or starter motor. These specific parts for start and stop are expensive, and if you have already checked out the battery prices for xxx or those of the starters you must have noticed that they are much more expensive than traditional batteries, do not think twice to deactivate this system to avoid this kind of issue. Finally, it may be that your start and stop on Mercedes Classe M does not work anymore , in this case, go to your mechanic to resolve this issue.
If you need more guides on the Mercedes Classe M, go to our Mercedes Classe M category.