Our vehicles profit from increasingly more technologies, generally speaking this brings us an additional comfort of use. Having said that, technology has its positive aspects, but also has some cons, with it, we discover bugs appearing! One of them is the Start and Stop feature, which is meant to help you save fuel and preserve the planet. You may come across problems and want to turn off the start stop technology on Mercedes Classe A 3 . But how do I do that? In this post we will help you understand how this system functions, how to disable start and stop on xxx, and what are the repeated problems you may encounter with this option.
How does the Start Stop on Mercedes Classe A 3 work?
Start Stop technology operation
Start Stop is a modern technology that began to be incorporated into recent automobiles about ten years ago. This technology is designed to limit the fuel consumption of your Mercedes Classe A 3 and to preserve the environment by limiting CO2 emissions. Its usefulness is mainly relevant in an urban environment. In fact, vehicles can be made to spend up to 35% of their time at a standstill during urban journeys. The promise of start and stop on your car is to save you between 5% and 15% in fuel consumption. However, on long journeys or secondary roads, its usefulness is limited. How it functions:
- A reinforced starter or a last generation alternator with built-in starter
- When you shift into neutral and release the clutch pedal, the engine will shut off.
- When you shift into gear, the car will automatically restart.
On some superior versions, your Mercedes Classe A 3 will even have the ability to shut down although you are not stopped (up to 20km/h on some start and stop).
Start Stop Mercedes Classe A 3: Pros and cons
Although this system has significant positive aspects in terms of environmental preservation and fuel economy, there are on the other hand some cons to having a start and stop on Mercedes Classe A 3 .
You will make fuel and CO2 emission savings if you have a mainly urban use of your Mercedes Classe A 3. You will too. In addition, you will have the ability to profit from the purchase of a car with a more interesting bonus/malus, permitting you to to buy a cheaper vehicle . At last, you will profit from an additional comfort because your engine will be stopped when you pass red lights or stops.
It’s not interesting for you to have this system if you drive on secondary roads . This system is actually quite expensive to buy (between 500 and 1500€) . At last, the first generations of start stop technology can suffer a premature wear of the starter and the battery of your Mercedes Classe A 3. you will have to buy or change your battery more quite often,
How to turn off Start Stop technology on Mercedes Classe A 3?
Now let’s proceed to the component you’re probably most enthusiastic about, how to deactivate, disconnect or remove the start stop on your Mercedes Classe A 3? .
Based on how you use your vehicle, you may desire to deactivate this system, which can be bothersome or you may experience that your starter is going through premature wear, or you may have had to purchase a new AGM or EFB battery on your Mercedes Classe A 3 . All these are valid causes to disable your start and stop system.
In this article are the two main techniques for disabling the start and stop on Mercedes Classe A 3:
- The traditional technique: Know, if you don’t already know it, that there is a start and stop disable button on your center console (depending on the year of your vehicle you may have a button labeled “ECO”, “Start and Stop” or “S&S”) that you can use to disconnect your start and stop on every start. However, this technique requires you to redo the treatment every time you start the car.
- It is possible that the start and stop of your Mercedes Classe A 3 is switched off completely: It is possible that the start and stop of your Mercedes Classe A 3 is switched on accidentally, or that it does not correspond to the use you have of your vehicle. In such a case, you can disable it by two different solutions. You can create a bridge at the rear of the activation button of your start and stop . At last, second technique you can disconnect the battery charge indicator cable that is on the terminals of your battery, which will produce your Mercedes Classe A 3 believe that the battery is tired and will deactivate the start and stop to preserve your autonomy.
Start Stop Technology problems Mercedes Classe A 3
Concerning the different concerns you might encounter with the start and stop of your Mercedes Classe A 3 . It is possible that this is activated in an unpredicted method , for example you are doing a manoeuvre and you don’t have time to replace to reverse gear and the vehicle stops. It is possible that this problem is associated with the series of your Mercedes Classe A 3. Try to completely deactivate your Start and Stop as discovered in the previous section to avoid this problem or go to your mechanic to discover if there is a particular solution. Another problem encountered by Mercedes Classe A 3 owners is that you may experience premature wear of your battery or starter motor. These particular parts for start and stop are expensive, and if you have already checked out the battery prices for xxx or those of the starters you must have realized that they are much more expensive than traditional batteries, do not think twice to deactivate this system to avoid this kind of problem. Finally, it might be that your start and stop on Mercedes Classe A 3 does not work anymore , in such a case, go to your mechanic to solve this problem.
If perhaps you have any further questions about the Mercedes Classe A 3, do not hesitate to consult our Mercedes Classe A 3 category.