Our vehicles profit from more and more technologies, generally speaking this brings us an additional comfort of use. Having said that, technology has its pros, but as well has some cons, with it, we find out bugs showing up! One of them is the Start and Stop feature, which is intended to help you save fuel and preserve the planet. You may confront problems and want to turn off the start stop technology on Mercedes Benz E Class . But how do I do that? In this article we will help you discover how this system functions, how to disable start and stop on xxx, and what are the repeated problems you may confront with this option.
How does the Start Stop on Mercedes Benz E Class work?
Start Stop technology operation
Start Stop is a recent technology that began to be included into recent vehicles about ten years ago. This technology is designed to limit the fuel consumption of your Mercedes Benz E Class and to protect the environment by limiting CO2 emissions. Its usefulness is specifically relevant in an urban environment. In fact, vehicles can be made to spend up to 35% of their time at a standstill during urban journeys. The promise of start and stop on your car is to save you between 5% and 15% in fuel consumption. However, on long travels or secondary roads, its usefulness is limited. How it functions:
- A reinforced starter or a last generation alternator with included starter
- When you shift into neutral and release the clutch pedal, the engine unit will shut off.
- When you shift into gear, the car will instantly restart.
On some improved versions, your Mercedes Benz E Class will even be able to shut down although you are not stopped (up to 20km/h on some start and stop).
Start Stop Mercedes Benz E Class: Positive aspects and cons
Nevertheless this system has serious pros in terms of environmental conservation and fuel economy, there are on the other hand some cons to having a start and stop on Mercedes Benz E Class .
You will make fuel and CO2 emission savings if you have a specifically urban use of your Mercedes Benz E Class. You will too. Furthermore, you will be able to advantage from the purchase of a car with a more interesting bonus/malus, permitting you to to buy a cheaper vehicle . Finally, you will advantage from an additional comfort because your engine unit will be stopped when you complete red lights or stops.
It’s not interesting for you to have this system if you drive on secondary roads . This system is quite expensive to buy (between 500 and 1500€) . Finally, the first generations of start stop technology can go through a premature wear of the starter and the battery of your Mercedes Benz E Class. you will have to buy or change your battery more often,
How to turn off Start Stop technology on Mercedes Benz E Class?
Now let’s move on to the part you’re probably most interested in, how to turn off, disconnect or take out the start stop on your Mercedes Benz E Class? .
Based on how you use your vehicle, you may want to turn off this system, which can be frustrating or you may feel that your starter is going through premature wear, or you may have had to purchase a new AGM or EFB battery on your Mercedes Benz E Class . All these are valid factors to disable your start and stop system.
Here are the two main techniques for turning off the start and stop on Mercedes Benz E Class:
- The traditional method: Know, if you don’t already know it, that there is a start and stop disable button on your center console (depending on the year of your vehicle you may have a button labeled “ECO”, “Start and Stop” or “S&S”) that you can use to disconnect your start and stop on every start. However, this method needs you to redo the treatment every time you start the car.
- It is possible that the start and stop of your Mercedes Benz E Class is switched off totally: It is possible that the start and stop of your Mercedes Benz E Class is switched on accidentally, or that it does not correspond to the use you have of your vehicle. In this case, you can disable it by two different ways. You can create a bridge at the rear of the activation button of your start and stop . Finally, second method you can disconnect the battery charge indicator cable that is on the terminals of your battery, which will produce your Mercedes Benz E Class presume that the battery is tired and will deactivate the start and stop to protect your autonomy.
Start Stop Technology problems Mercedes Benz E Class
Concerning the different complications you might encounter with the start and stop of your Mercedes Benz E Class . It is possible that this is activated in an unpredicted method , for example you are doing a manoeuvre and you don’t have time to change to reverse gear and the vehicle stops. It is possible that this problem is related to the series of your Mercedes Benz E Class. Try to completely deactivate your Start and Stop as seen in the previous section to avoid this problem or go to your garage area to find out if there is a particular solution. Another problem experienced by Mercedes Benz E Class owners is that you may encounter premature wear of your battery or starter motor. These particular parts for start and stop are expensive, and if you have already checked out the battery prices for xxx or those of the starters you must have discovered that they are much more expensive than traditional batteries, do not think twice to deactivate this system to avoid this kind of problem. Finally, it might be that your start and stop on Mercedes Benz E Class does not work anymore , in such a case, go to your motor mechanic to solve this problem.
If you wish more tutorials on the Mercedes Benz E Class, go to our Mercedes Benz E Class category.