Our vehicles profit from more and more technologies, generally this gives us an additional comfort of use. Having said that, technology has its positive aspects, but as well has some down sides, with it, we discover bugs showing up! One of them is the Start and Stop feature, which is designed to help you save fuel and preserve the planet. You may encounter complications and want to turn off the start stop technology on Hyundai Elantra . But how do I do that? In this post we will help you discover how this system functions, how to disable start and stop on xxx, and what are the repeated complications you may encounter with this option.
How does the Start Stop on Hyundai Elantra work?
Start Stop technology operation
Start Stop is a recent technology that began to be integrated into recent automobiles about ten years ago. This technology is designed to limit the fuel consumption of your Hyundai Elantra and to preserve the environment by limiting CO2 emissions. Its convenience is principally relevant in an urban environment. In truth, vehicles can be made to spend up to 35% of their time at a standstill during urban journeys. The promise of start and stop on your car is to save you between 5% and 15% in fuel consumption. However, on long journeys or secondary roads, its usefulness is limited. How it functions:
- A reinforced starter or a last generation alternator with integrated starter
- When you shift into neutral and release the clutch pedal, the engine will shut off.
- When you shift into gear, the car will instantly restart.
On some improved variants, your Hyundai Elantra will even have the ability to shut down although you are not stopped (up to 20km/h on some start and stop).
Start Stop Hyundai Elantra: Positive aspects and down sides
Although this system has significant positive aspects in terms of environmental conservation and fuel economy, there are nevertheless some down sides to having a start and stop on Hyundai Elantra .
You will make fuel and CO2 emission savings if you have a principally urban use of your Hyundai Elantra. You will too. In addition, you will have the ability to benefit from the purchase of a car with a more interesting bonus/malus, permitting you to to buy a cheaper vehicle . At last, you will benefit from an additional comfort because your engine will be stopped when you pass red lights or stops.
It’s not interesting for you to have this system if you drive on secondary roads . This system is actually quite expensive to buy (between 500 and 1500€) . At last, the first generations of start stop technology can go through a premature wear of the starter and the battery of your Hyundai Elantra. you will have to buy or change your battery more often,
How to turn off Start Stop technology on Hyundai Elantra?
Now let’s move on to the part you’re probably most interested in, how to turn off, disconnect or take out the start stop on your Hyundai Elantra? .
Depending on how you use your vehicle, you may need to turn off this system, which can be annoying or you may experience that your starter is experiencing premature wear, or you may have had to purchase a new AGM or EFB battery on your Hyundai Elantra . All these are valid factors to disable your start and stop system.
On this website are the two main techniques for turning off the start and stop on Hyundai Elantra:
- The traditional approach: Know, if you don’t already know it, that there is a start and stop disable button on your center console (depending on the year of your vehicle you may have a button labeled “ECO”, “Start and Stop” or “S&S”) that you can use to disconnect your start and stop on every start. However, this approach requires you to redo the treatment every time you start the car.
- It is possible that the start and stop of your Hyundai Elantra is switched off completely: It is possible that the start and stop of your Hyundai Elantra is switched on accidentally, or that it does not correspond to the use you have of your vehicle. In such a case, you can disable it by two different solutions. You can create a bridge behind the activation button of your start and stop . At last, second approach you can disconnect the battery charge indicator cable that is on the terminals of your battery, which will make your Hyundai Elantra believe that the battery is tired and will deactivate the start and stop to keep your autonomy.
Start Stop Technology complications Hyundai Elantra
Concerning the different complications you might encountered with the start and stop of your Hyundai Elantra . It is possible that this is activated in an unpredicted method , for example you are doing a manoeuvre and you don’t have time to replace to reverse gear and the vehicle stops. It is possible that this problem is related to the series of your Hyundai Elantra. Try to completely deactivate your Start and Stop as discovered in the previous section to avoid this issue or go to your garage to discover if there is a particular solution. Another problem encountered by Hyundai Elantra owners is that you may encounter premature wear of your battery or starter motor. These particular parts for start and stop are expensive, and if you have already looked over the battery prices for xxx or those of the starters you must have discovered that they are much more expensive than classic batteries, do not hesitate to deactivate this system to avoid this kind of issue. Finally, it may be that your start and stop on Hyundai Elantra does not work anymore , in such a case, go to your motor mechanic to correct this issue.
If you need more tutorials on the Hyundai Elantra, go to our Hyundai Elantra category.