Our vehicles profit from increasingly more technologies, most of the time this provides us an additional comfort of use. Having said that, technology has its positive aspects, but as well has some disadvantages, with it, we find out bugs showing up! One of them is the Start and Stop feature, which is designed to help you save fuel and preserve the planet. You may confront problems and want to turn off the start stop technology on Ford Explorer . But how do I do that? In this article we will help you figure out how this system functions, how to disable start and stop on xxx, and what are the repeated problems you may encounter with this option.
How does the Start Stop on Ford Explorer work?
Start Stop technology operation
Start Stop is a modern technology that began to be incorporated into recent automobiles about ten years ago. This technology aims to limit the fuel consumption of your Ford Explorer and to preserve the environment by limiting CO2 emissions. Its effectiveness is mainly important in an urban environment. In fact, vehicles can be made to spend up to 35% of their time at a standstill during urban journeys. The promise of start and stop on your vehicle is to save you between 5% and 15% in fuel consumption. Nevertheless, on long trips or secondary roads, its usefulness is limited. How it functions:
- A reinforced starter or a last generation alternator with included starter
- When you shift into neutral and release the clutch pedal, the engine unit will shut off.
- When you shift into gear, the car will instantly restart.
On some superior types, your Ford Explorer will even be able to shut down although you are not stopped (up to 20km/h on some start and stop).
Start Stop Ford Explorer: Advantages and disadvantages
Although this system has fair positive aspects in terms of environmental preservation and fuel economy, there are nevertheless some disadvantages to having a start and stop on Ford Explorer .
You will make fuel and CO2 emission savings if you have a mainly urban use of your Ford Explorer. You will too. Furthermore, you will be able to benefit from the purchase of a car with a more interesting bonus/malus, allowing you to to buy a cheaper car . Finally, you will benefit from an additional comfort because your engine unit will be stopped when you complete red lights or stops.
It’s not interesting for you to have this system if you drive on secondary roads . This system is actually quite expensive to buy (between 500 and 1500€) . Finally, the first generations of start stop technology can go through a premature wear of the starter and the battery of your Ford Explorer. you will have to buy or change your battery more often,
How to turn off Start Stop technology on Ford Explorer?
Now let’s proceed to the part you’re probably most enthusiastic about, how to disable, disconnect or take out the start stop on your Ford Explorer? .
Based on how you use your car, you may need to disable this system, which can be irritating or you may experience that your starter is going through premature wear, or you may have had to purchase a new AGM or EFB battery on your Ford Explorer . All these are valid factors to disable your start and stop system.
Here are the two main techniques for disabling the start and stop on Ford Explorer:
- The traditional method: Know, if you don’t already know it, that there is a start and stop disable button on your center console (depending on the year of your car you may have a button labeled “ECO”, “Start and Stop” or “S&S”) that you can use to disconnect your start and stop on every start. Nevertheless, this method needs you to redo the treatment every time you start the motor vehicle.
- It is possible that the start and stop of your Ford Explorer is switched off entirely: It is possible that the start and stop of your Ford Explorer is switched on accidentally, or that it does not match the use you have of your car. In such a case, you can deactivate it by two different ways. You can create a bridge behind the activation button of your start and stop . Finally, second method you can disconnect the battery charge indicator cable that is on the terminals of your battery, which will produce your Ford Explorer presume that the battery is tired and will deactivate the start and stop to preserve your autonomy.
Start Stop Technology problems Ford Explorer
Concerning the different problems you might encounter with the start and stop of your Ford Explorer . It is possible that this is activated in an unexpected technique , for example you are doing a manoeuvre and you don’t have time to replace to reverse gear and the car stops. It is possible that this problem is related to the series of your Ford Explorer. Try to completely deactivate your Start and Stop as seen in the previous section to avoid this issue or go to your mechanic to find out if there is a specific remedy. Another problem encountered by Ford Explorer owners is that you may experience premature wear of your battery or starter motor. These specific parts for start and stop are expensive, and if you have already checked out the battery prices for xxx or those of the starters you must have discovered that they are much more expensive than classic batteries, do not hesitate to deactivate this system to avoid this sort of issue. Finally, it may be that your start and stop on Ford Explorer does not work anymore , in such a case, go to your motor mechanic to correct this issue.
If you wish more guides on the Ford Explorer, go to our Ford Explorer category.