Our automobiles benefit from increasingly more technologies, generally speaking this brings us an additional comfort of use. Having said that, technology has its advantages, but as well has some drawbacks, with it, we see bugs appearing! One of them is the Start and Stop feature, which is made to help you save fuel and preserve the planet. You may come across problems and want to turn off the start stop technology on Chevrolet Silverado . But how do I do that? In this post we will help you discover how this system functions, how to disable start and stop on xxx, and what are the recurring problems you may encounter with this option.
How does the Start Stop on Chevrolet Silverado work?
Start Stop technology operation
Start Stop is a latest technology that began to be included into recent vehicles about ten years ago. This technology aims to limit the fuel consumption of your Chevrolet Silverado and to protect the environment by limiting CO2 emissions. Its usefulness is mainly important in an urban environment. In fact, automobiles can be made to spend up to 35% of their time at a standstill during urban journeys. The promise of start and stop on your vehicle is to save you between 5% and 15% in fuel consumption. Nevertheless, on long travels or secondary roads, its usefulness is limited. How it functions:
- A reinforced starter or a last generation alternator with integrated starter
- When you shift into neutral and release the clutch pedal, the engine unit will shut off.
- When you shift into gear, the car will immediately restart.
On some superior variants, your Chevrolet Silverado will even have the ability to shut down while you are not stopped (up to 20km/h on some start and stop).
Start Stop Chevrolet Silverado: Pros and drawbacks
Although this system has real advantages in terms of environmental preservation and fuel economy, there are nevertheless some drawbacks to having a start and stop on Chevrolet Silverado .
You will make fuel and CO2 emission savings if you have a mainly urban use of your Chevrolet Silverado. You will too. Furthermore, you will have the ability to advantage from the purchase of a car with a more interesting bonus/malus, permitting you to to buy a cheaper vehicle . Finally, you will advantage from an additional comfort because your engine unit will be stopped when you complete red lights or stops.
It’s not interesting for you to have this system if you drive on secondary roads . This system is actually quite expensive to buy (between 500 and 1500€) . Finally, the first generations of start stop technology can suffer a premature wear of the starter and the battery of your Chevrolet Silverado. you will have to buy or change your battery more quite often,
How to turn off Start Stop technology on Chevrolet Silverado?
Now let’s move on to the part you’re probably most interested in, how to turn off, disconnect or remove the start stop on your Chevrolet Silverado? .
Based on how you use your vehicle, you may want to turn off this system, which can be annoying or you may experience that your starter is going through premature wear, or you may have had to purchase a new AGM or EFB battery on your Chevrolet Silverado . All these are valid reasons to disable your start and stop system.
In this article are the two main techniques for disabling the start and stop on Chevrolet Silverado:
- The traditional approach: Know, if you don’t already know it, that there is a start and stop disable button on your center console (depending on the year of your vehicle you may have a button labeled “ECO”, “Start and Stop” or “S&S”) that you can use to disconnect your start and stop on every begin. Nevertheless, this approach needs you to redo the manipulation every time you start the car.
- It is possible that the start and stop of your Chevrolet Silverado is switched off totally: It is possible that the start and stop of your Chevrolet Silverado is switched on unintentionally, or that it does not correspond to the use you have of your vehicle. In this case, you can deactivate it by two different ways. You can create a bridge at the rear of the activation button of your start and stop . Finally, second approach you can disconnect the battery charge indicator cable that is on the terminals of your battery, which will produce your Chevrolet Silverado presume that the battery is tired and will deactivate the start and stop to protect your autonomy.
Start Stop Technology problems Chevrolet Silverado
Concerning the different complications you might encountered with the start and stop of your Chevrolet Silverado . It is possible that this is activated in an unexpected way , for example you are doing a manoeuvre and you don’t have time to change to reverse gear and the vehicle stops. It is possible that this problem is associated with the series of your Chevrolet Silverado. Try to completely deactivate your Start and Stop as discovered in the previous section to avoid this problem or go to your garage area to see if there is a particular solution. Another problem encountered by Chevrolet Silverado owners is that you may experience premature wear of your battery or starter motor. These particular parts for start and stop are expensive, and if you have already checked out the battery prices for xxx or those of the starters you must have noticed that they are much more expensive than traditional batteries, do not hesitate to deactivate this system to avoid this kind of problem. Finally, it might be that your start and stop on Chevrolet Silverado does not work anymore , in such a case, go to your mechanic to correct this problem.
If you wish more tutorials on the Chevrolet Silverado, go to our Chevrolet Silverado category.