Our cars profit from increasingly more technologies, most of the time this brings us an additional comfort of use. Having said that, technology has its advantages, but also has some down sides, with it, we find out bugs showing up! One of them is the Start and Stop feature, which is intended to help you save fuel and preserve the planet. You may confront problems and want to turn off the start stop technology on Chevrolet HHR . But how do I do that? In this post we will help you understand how this system functions, how to disable start and stop on xxx, and what are the recurring problems you may confront with this option.
How does the Start Stop on Chevrolet HHR work?
Start Stop technology operation
Start Stop is a latest technology that began to be integrated into recent vehicles about ten years ago. This technology aims to limit the fuel consumption of your Chevrolet HHR and to preserve the environment by limiting CO2 emissions. Its convenience is principally important in an urban environment. Indeed, cars can be made to spend up to 35% of their time at a standstill during urban journeys. The guarantee of start and stop on your vehicle is to save you between 5% and 15% in fuel consumption. Nevertheless, on long trips or secondary roads, its usefulness is limited. How it functions:
- A reinforced starter or a last generation alternator with included starter
- When you shift into neutral and release the clutch pedal, the engine will shut off.
- When you shift into gear, the car will instantly restart.
On some superior versions, your Chevrolet HHR will even have the ability to shut down although you are not stopped (up to 20km/h on some start and stop).
Start Stop Chevrolet HHR: Pros and down sides
Nevertheless this system has real advantages in terms of environmental preservation and fuel economy, there are on the other hand some down sides to having a start and stop on Chevrolet HHR .
You will make fuel and CO2 emission savings if you have a principally urban use of your Chevrolet HHR. You will too. Furthermore, you will have the ability to advantage from the purchase of a vehicle with a more interesting bonus/malus, permitting you to to buy a cheaper vehicle . Finally, you will advantage from an additional comfort because your engine will be stopped when you complete red lights or stops.
It’s not interesting for you to have this system if you drive on secondary roads . This system is actually quite expensive to buy (between 500 and 1500€) . Finally, the first generations of start stop technology can go through a premature wear of the starter and the battery of your Chevrolet HHR. you will have to buy or change your battery more generally,
How to turn off Start Stop technology on Chevrolet HHR?
Now let’s move on to the part you’re probably most keen on, how to turn off, disconnect or remove the start stop on your Chevrolet HHR? .
Based on how you use your vehicle, you may want to turn off this system, which can be irritating or you may feel that your starter is going through premature wear, or you may have had to purchase a new AGM or EFB battery on your Chevrolet HHR . All these are valid causes to disable your start and stop system.
On this website are the two most important techniques for disabling the start and stop on Chevrolet HHR:
- The traditional method: Know, if you don’t already know it, that there is a start and stop disable button on your center console (depending on the year of your vehicle you may have a button labeled “ECO”, “Start and Stop” or “S&S”) that you can use to disconnect your start and stop on every begin. Nevertheless, this method needs you to redo the treatment every time you start the car.
- It is possible that the start and stop of your Chevrolet HHR is switched off completely: It is possible that the start and stop of your Chevrolet HHR is switched on unintentionally, or that it does not match the use you have of your vehicle. In such a case, you can disable it by two different ways. You can create a bridge behind the activation button of your start and stop . Finally, second method you can disconnect the battery charge indicator cable that is on the terminals of your battery, which will produce your Chevrolet HHR believe that the battery is tired and will deactivate the start and stop to protect your autonomy.
Start Stop Technology problems Chevrolet HHR
Concerning the different problems you might encountered with the start and stop of your Chevrolet HHR . It is possible that this is activated in an unexpected way , for example you are doing a manoeuvre and you don’t have time to change to reverse gear and the vehicle stops. It is possible that this problem is related to the series of your Chevrolet HHR. Try to completely deactivate your Start and Stop as seen in the previous section to avoid this issue or go to your mechanic to find out if there is a specific solution. Another problem encountered by Chevrolet HHR owners is that you may experience premature wear of your battery or starter motor. These specific parts for start and stop are expensive, and if you have already checked out the battery prices for xxx or those of the starters you must have noticed that they are much more expensive than classic batteries, do not think twice to deactivate this system to avoid this kind of issue. Finally, it might be that your start and stop on Chevrolet HHR does not work anymore , in this case, go to your motor mechanic to resolve this issue.
Whenever you have any further questions about the Chevrolet HHR, do not hesitate to consult our Chevrolet HHR category.