Our vehicles profit from more and more technologies, most of the time this brings us an additional comfort of use. Having said that, technology has its advantages, but as well has some cons, with it, we discover bugs showing up! One of them is the Start and Stop feature, which is made to help you save fuel and preserve the planet. You may come across problems and want to turn off the start stop technology on Cadillac ATS . But how do I do that? In this article we will help you understand how this system functions, how to disable start and stop on xxx, and what are the repeated problems you may confront with this option.
How does the Start Stop on Cadillac ATS work?
Start Stop technology operation
Start Stop is a recent technology that began to be included into modern vehicles about ten years ago. This technology is designed to limit the fuel consumption of your Cadillac ATS and to protect the environment by limiting CO2 emissions. Its usefulness is specifically relevant in an urban environment. Indeed, vehicles can be made to spend up to 35% of their time at a standstill during urban journeys. The guarantee of start and stop on your vehicle is to save you between 5% and 15% in fuel consumption. However, on long journeys or secondary roads, its usefulness is limited. How it functions:
- A reinforced starter or a last generation alternator with integrated starter
- When you shift into neutral and release the clutch pedal, the engine unit will shut off.
- When you shift into gear, the car will instantly restart.
On some improved variants, your Cadillac ATS will even be able to shut down while you are not stopped (up to 20km/h on some start and stop).
Start Stop Cadillac ATS: Pros and cons
Although this system has fair advantages in terms of environmental preservation and fuel economy, there are nevertheless some cons to having a start and stop on Cadillac ATS .
You will make fuel and CO2 emission savings if you have a specifically urban use of your Cadillac ATS. You will too. In addition, you will be able to profit from the purchase of a vehicle with a more interesting bonus/malus, permitting you to to buy a cheaper car . Finally, you will profit from an additional comfort because your engine unit will be stopped when you pass red lights or stops.
It’s not interesting for you to have this system if you drive on secondary roads . This system is actually quite expensive to buy (between 500 and 1500€) . Finally, the first generations of start stop technology can go through a premature wear of the starter and the battery of your Cadillac ATS. you will have to buy or change your battery more generally,
How to turn off Start Stop technology on Cadillac ATS?
Now let’s proceed to the part you’re probably most keen on, how to turn off, disconnect or take out the start stop on your Cadillac ATS? .
Based on how you use your car, you may desire to turn off this system, which can be irritating or you may feel that your starter is encountering premature wear, or you may have had to purchase a new AGM or EFB battery on your Cadillac ATS . All these are valid factors to disable your start and stop system.
Here are the two main techniques for disabling the start and stop on Cadillac ATS:
- The traditional technique: Know, if you don’t already know it, that there is a start and stop disable button on your center console (depending on the year of your car you may have a button labeled “ECO”, “Start and Stop” or “S&S”) that you can use to disconnect your start and stop on every start. However, this technique necessitates you to redo the treatment every time you start the motor vehicle.
- It is possible that the start and stop of your Cadillac ATS is switched off completely: It is possible that the start and stop of your Cadillac ATS is switched on accidentally, or that it does not correspond to the use you have of your car. In this case, you can disconnect it by two different solutions. You can create a bridge at the rear of the activation button of your start and stop . Finally, second technique you can disconnect the battery charge indicator cable that is on the terminals of your battery, which will produce your Cadillac ATS presume that the battery is tired and will deactivate the start and stop to keep your autonomy.
Start Stop Technology problems Cadillac ATS
Concerning the different complications you might encountered with the start and stop of your Cadillac ATS . It is possible that this is activated in an unexpected method , for example you are doing a manoeuvre and you don’t have time to change to reverse gear and the car stops. It is possible that this problem is related to the series of your Cadillac ATS. Try to completely deactivate your Start and Stop as discovered in the previous section to avoid this problem or go to your mechanic to discover if there is a particular solution. Another problem encountered by Cadillac ATS owners is that you may encounter premature wear of your battery or starter motor. These particular parts for start and stop are expensive, and if you have already looked over the battery prices for xxx or those of the starters you must have realized that they are much more expensive than traditional batteries, do not hesitate to deactivate this system to avoid this kind of problem. Finally, it may be that your start and stop on Cadillac ATS does not work anymore , in such a case, go to your mechanic to correct this problem.
If you have any further questions about the Cadillac ATS, do not hesitate to consult our Cadillac ATS category.