Our automobiles profit from more and more technologies, generally speaking this brings us an additional comfort of use. Having said that, technology has its positive aspects, but as well has some disadvantages, with it, we see bugs appearing! One of them is the Start and Stop feature, which is made to help you save fuel and preserve the planet. You may encounter complications and want to turn off the start stop technology on BMW i3 . But how do I do that? In this article we will help you understand how this system works, how to disable start and stop on xxx, and what are the recurring complications you may encountered with this option.
How does the Start Stop on BMW i3 work?
Start Stop technology operation
Start Stop is a latest technology that began to be integrated into recent vehicles about ten years ago. This technology aims to limit the fuel consumption of your BMW i3 and to protect the environment by limiting CO2 emissions. Its effectiveness is specifically relevant in an urban environment. Indeed, automobiles can be made to spend up to 35% of their time at a standstill during urban journeys. The guarantee of start and stop on your vehicle is to save you between 5% and 15% in fuel consumption. However, on long travels or secondary roads, its usefulness is limited. How it works:
- A reinforced starter or a last generation alternator with built-in starter
- When you shift into neutral and release the clutch pedal, the engine unit will shut off.
- When you shift into gear, the car will automatically restart.
On some improved versions, your BMW i3 will even be able to shut down while you are not stopped (up to 20km/h on some start and stop).
Start Stop BMW i3: Pros and disadvantages
Although this system has serious positive aspects in terms of environmental preservation and fuel economy, there are however some disadvantages to having a start and stop on BMW i3 .
You will make fuel and CO2 emission savings if you have a specifically urban use of your BMW i3. You will too. In addition, you will be able to advantage from the purchase of a vehicle with a more interesting bonus/malus, allowing you to to buy a cheaper car . Finally, you will advantage from an additional comfort because your engine unit will be stopped when you complete red lights or stops.
It’s not interesting for you to have this system if you drive on secondary roads . This system is quite expensive to buy (between 500 and 1500€) . Finally, the first generations of start stop technology can go through a premature wear of the starter and the battery of your BMW i3. you will have to buy or change your battery more quite often,
How to turn off Start Stop technology on BMW i3?
Now let’s proceed to the component you’re probably most enthusiastic about, how to deactivate, disconnect or remove the start stop on your BMW i3? .
Based on how you use your car, you may desire to deactivate this system, which can be frustrating or you may experience that your starter is encountering premature wear, or you may have had to purchase a new AGM or EFB battery on your BMW i3 . All these are valid factors to disable your start and stop system.
In this article are the two most important techniques for turning off the start and stop on BMW i3:
- The traditional technique: Know, if you don’t already know it, that there is a start and stop disable button on your center console (depending on the year of your car you may have a button labeled “ECO”, “Start and Stop” or “S&S”) that you can use to disconnect your start and stop on every start. However, this technique requires you to redo the manipulation every time you start the motor vehicle.
- It is possible that the start and stop of your BMW i3 is switched off completely: It is possible that the start and stop of your BMW i3 is switched on accidentally, or that it does not correspond to the use you have of your car. In such a case, you can deactivate it by two different ways. You can create a bridge at the rear of the activation button of your start and stop . Finally, second technique you can disconnect the battery charge indicator cable that is on the terminals of your battery, which will produce your BMW i3 believe that the battery is tired and will deactivate the start and stop to keep your autonomy.
Start Stop Technology complications BMW i3
Concerning the different concerns you might encounter with the start and stop of your BMW i3 . It is possible that this is activated in an unexpected way , for example you are doing a manoeuvre and you don’t have time to replace to reverse gear and the car stops. It is possible that this problem is related to the series of your BMW i3. Try to completely deactivate your Start and Stop as discovered in the previous section to avoid this issue or go to your mechanic to see if there is a particular solution. Another problem encountered by BMW i3 owners is that you may encounter premature wear of your battery or starter motor. These particular parts for start and stop are expensive, and if you have already checked out the battery prices for xxx or those of the starters you must have discovered that they are much more expensive than traditional batteries, do not hesitate to deactivate this system to avoid this sort of issue. Finally, it might be that your start and stop on BMW i3 does not work anymore , in such a case, go to your mechanic to resolve this issue.
If you want more guides on the BMW i3, go to our BMW i3 category.