Our automobiles profit from more and more technologies, most of the time this gives us an additional comfort of use. Having said that, technology has its pros, but as well has some disadvantages, with it, we see bugs appearing! One of them is the Start and Stop feature, which is intended to help you save fuel and preserve the planet. You may come across problems and want to turn off the start stop technology on Acura RDX . But how do I do that? In this post we will help you understand how this system functions, how to disable start and stop on xxx, and what are the recurring problems you may come across with this option.
How does the Start Stop on Acura RDX work?
Start Stop technology operation
Start Stop is a recent technology that began to be integrated into recent automobiles about ten years ago. This technology aims to limit the fuel consumption of your Acura RDX and to protect the environment by limiting CO2 emissions. Its usefulness is specifically important in an urban environment. In truth, automobiles can be made to spend up to 35% of their time at a standstill during urban journeys. The guarantee of start and stop on your vehicle is to save you between 5% and 15% in fuel consumption. Nevertheless, on long travels or secondary roads, its usefulness is limited. How it functions:
- A reinforced starter or a last generation alternator with built-in starter
- When you shift into neutral and release the clutch pedal, the engine will shut off.
- When you shift into gear, the car will immediately restart.
On some improved types, your Acura RDX will even have the ability to shut down while you are not stopped (up to 20km/h on some start and stop).
Start Stop Acura RDX: Positive aspects and disadvantages
Nevertheless this system has significant pros in terms of environmental preservation and fuel economy, there are nevertheless some disadvantages to having a start and stop on Acura RDX .
You will make fuel and CO2 emission savings if you have a specifically urban use of your Acura RDX. You will too. Furthermore, you will have the ability to advantage from the purchase of a car with a more interesting bonus/malus, allowing you to to buy a cheaper car . Finally, you will advantage from an additional comfort because your engine will be stopped when you complete red lights or stops.
It’s not interesting for you to have this system if you drive on secondary roads . This system is quite expensive to buy (between 500 and 1500€) . Finally, the first generations of start stop technology can undergo a premature wear of the starter and the battery of your Acura RDX. you will have to buy or change your battery more quite often,
How to turn off Start Stop technology on Acura RDX?
Now let’s proceed to the component you’re probably most enthusiastic about, how to deactivate, disconnect or remove the start stop on your Acura RDX? .
Based on how you use your car, you may desire to deactivate this system, which can be irritating or you may feel that your starter is encountering premature wear, or you may have had to purchase a new AGM or EFB battery on your Acura RDX . All these are valid factors to disable your start and stop system.
Here are the two most important techniques for disabling the start and stop on Acura RDX:
- The traditional technique: Know, if you don’t already know it, that there is a start and stop disable button on your center console (depending on the year of your car you may have a button labeled “ECO”, “Start and Stop” or “S&S”) that you can use to disconnect your start and stop on every start. Nevertheless, this technique requires you to redo the treatment every time you start the car.
- It is possible that the start and stop of your Acura RDX is switched off totally: It is possible that the start and stop of your Acura RDX is switched on accidentally, or that it does not match the use you have of your car. In such a case, you can deactivate it by two different ways. You can create a bridge at the rear of the activation button of your start and stop . Finally, second technique you can disconnect the battery charge indicator cable that is on the terminals of your battery, which will make your Acura RDX presume that the battery is tired and will deactivate the start and stop to keep your autonomy.
Start Stop Technology problems Acura RDX
Concerning the different complications you might encounter with the start and stop of your Acura RDX . It is possible that this is activated in an unexpected method , for example you are doing a manoeuvre and you don’t have time to replace to reverse gear and the car stops. It is possible that this problem is associated with the series of your Acura RDX. Try to completely deactivate your Start and Stop as discovered in the previous section to avoid this problem or go to your garage to see if there is a specific solution. Another problem experienced by Acura RDX owners is that you may encounter premature wear of your battery or starter motor. These specific parts for start and stop are expensive, and if you have already checked out the battery prices for xxx or those of the starters you must have realized that they are much more expensive than traditional batteries, do not think twice to deactivate this system to avoid this kind of problem. Finally, it may be that your start and stop on Acura RDX does not work anymore , in such a case, go to your mechanic to resolve this problem.
If you have any further questions about the Acura RDX, do not hesitate to consult our Acura RDX category.