Having an automobile is practical, only a vehicle means a breakdown… And unfortunately, we know very well, also the luckiest among us hardly ever fall through the cracks. On the other hand, between an automobile that doesn’t start in the morning and breaking down on the highway, the repercussions are going to be quite different. In any case, a Volkswagen Polo that doesn’t drive is tricky to move and the only remedy is often to tow it to the nearest workshop. In this article content we will describe how to tow a Volkswagen Polo, respecting the legislation and guaranteeing maximum security. To get this done, first we will have a look at the rules to stick to when towing a Volkswagen Polo, then how to tow a Volkswagen Polo yourself, and finally, the most sensible solution is to hire a professional to tow your car.
The rules to stick to if you want to tow an Volkswagen Polo
It is surely possible to tow your automobile. On the other hand, if you want to go into towing a Volkswagen Polo you will have to stick to some measures. We present them to you down below:
- Do not drive on motorways or expressways, since the speed at which you will tow your Volkswagen Polo may put at risk yourself and other motorists if you do it on an expressway.
- Do not exceed 25 km/h, you must all the time stay in control of both cars, a high speed will not enable you to predict possible challenges and the towed car may enter the first one
- Limit yourself to short distance journeys. If you have to travel several dozen kilometres, it is better to call a breakdown service.
- When towing, try to make sure that the Volkswagen Polo and the car towing it are properly aligned, to hold a good behaviour.
- Turn on the warnings lights on both cars.
- If the Volkswagen Polo being towed has no battery, you will need to use a removable plate linked to the first automobile so that you can notify the drivers behind you.
How to tow a Volkswagen Polo by yourself
Now that you have discovered the basic specifications for safely towing a Volkswagen Polo, we will learn you the different solutions to do it:
- Use only a tow bar to tow your Volkswagen Polo, as ropes, straps or other products are not suitable and will only risk you having an incident. If the towing device is flexible, you risk hitting the towing automobile. It will be better to buy a towing bar.
- You can use one of the three types of existing tow bars to tow your Volkswagen Polo, telescopic bars (40 to 50 euros), folding bars (30 to 100 euros) and standard bars (30 to 40 euros).
- Examine that you have two towing rings on the cars, which will allow you to ttach them together with the tow bar.
- Examine that the towing automobile is heavier than the automobile to be towed.
- Have efficient signalling on the Volkswagen Polo to be towed.
These are the regulation to stick to if you want to tow your Volkswagen Polo. On the other hand remember that this alternative should only be used for short distances to avoid a more expensive towing, if you have a long distance to cover we advise you to read the following section.
Have your Volkswagen Polo towed by a professional
Finally, last part of our article, if you are not able to tow your Volkswagen Polo in good conditions, it remains the most logical remedy, to call a tow truck to tow your car. This may be like an expensive option, but in most insurance contracts, there is a clause that allows you to use their services at no cost. Here are the details to verify on your insurance contract before calling a tow truck:
- That the distance between your home and the place of breakdown is in accordance with the mileage insured in your agreement (generally covered more than 50 km from your home).
- Examine that the concerns you are facing are well taken care of by your insurer.
- Finally, verify the deductible amount on your account.
Now you have all the information you need to tow your Volkswagen Polo in good conditions.
If perhaps you have any additional questions about the Volkswagen Polo, do not hesitate to consult our Volkswagen Polo category.