Having an automobile is useful, only a vehicle means a breakdown… And unfortunately, we know very well, even the luckiest among us rarely fall through the cracks. However, between a car that doesn’t start in the morning and breaking down on the highway, the repercussions are going to be quite different. No matter the reason, a Volkswagen Golf that doesn’t drive is difficult to move and the only treatment is often to tow it to the closest garage. In this content we will describe how to tow a Volkswagen Golf, respecting the laws and guaranteeing maximum safety. To get this done, first we will examine the rules to adhere to when towing a Volkswagen Golf, then how to tow a Volkswagen Golf yourself, and at last, the most sensible solution is to hire a professional to tow your car.
The rules to adhere to if you want to tow an Volkswagen Golf
It is in truth possible to tow your car. However, if you want to go into towing a Volkswagen Golf you will have to adhere to some measures. We present them to you down below:
- Do not drive on motorways or expressways, because the speed at which you will tow your Volkswagen Golf may endanger yourself and other users if you do it on an expressway.
- Do not exceed 25 km/h, you must all the time stay in control of both automobiles, a high speed will not allow you to predict possible problems and the towed car may enter the first one
- Limit yourself to short distance journeys. If you have to travel several dozen kilometres, it is better to call a breakdown service.
- When towing, try to ensure that the Volkswagen Golf and the car towing it are correctly aligned, to keep up a great behaviour.
- Turn on the warnings lights on both automobiles.
- If the Volkswagen Golf being towed has no battery, you will need to use a removable plate connected to the first car so that you can alert the drivers behind you.
How to tow a Volkswagen Golf by yourself
Now that you have discovered the basic rules for securely towing a Volkswagen Golf, we will learn you the different methods to do it:
- Use only a tow bar to tow your Volkswagen Golf, as ropes, straps or other products are not appropriate and will only risk you having an incident. If the towing device is flexible, you risk hitting the towing car. It will be better to buy a towing bar.
- You can use one of the three kinds existing tow bars to tow your Volkswagen Golf, telescopic bars (40 to 50 euros), folding bars (30 to 100 euros) and standard bars (30 to 40 euros).
- Verify that you have two towing rings on the automobiles, which will allow you to ttach them together with the tow bar.
- Verify that the towing car is heavier than the car to be towed.
- Have functional signalling on the Volkswagen Golf to be towed.
These are the regulation to adhere to if you want to tow your Volkswagen Golf. However bear in mind that this alternative should only be used for short distances to avoid a more expensive towing, if you have a long distance to cover we encourage you to examine the following section.
Have your Volkswagen Golf towed by a professional
To finish , last part of our article, if you are not able to tow your Volkswagen Golf in good conditions, it remains the most rational resolution, to call a tow truck to tow your car. This may seem like an expensive option, but in most insurance contracts, there is a clause that allows you to use their services free of charge. Here are the details to check on your insurance contract before calling a tow truck:
- That the distance between your home and the place of breakdown is in accordance with the mileage included in your contract (generally covered more than 50 km from your home).
- Verify that the problems you are being confronted with are well taken care of by your insurer.
- At last, check the deductible amount on your account.
Now you have all the information you need to tow your Volkswagen Golf in good conditions.
If perhaps you have any further questions about the Volkswagen Golf, do not hesitate to consult our Volkswagen Golf category.