Having a vehicle is handy, only a vehicle means a breakdown… And unfortunately, we know very well, even the luckiest among us hardly ever fall through the cracks. Nevertheless, between a car that doesn’t start in the morning and breaking down on the highway, the results are going to be quite different. Whatever the case, a Mercedes Classe V that doesn’t drive is hard to move and the only solution is often to tow it to the closest mechanic. In this article content we will show you how to tow a Mercedes Classe V, respecting the legislation and guaranteeing maximum safety. To do this, first we will check out the rules to follow when towing a Mercedes Classe V, then how to tow a Mercedes Classe V yourself, and at last, the most sensible solution is to hire a specialist to tow your car.
The rules to follow if you want to tow an Mercedes Classe V
It is surely possible to tow your automobile. Nevertheless, if you want to go into towing a Mercedes Classe V you will have to follow some protocols. We present them to you just below:
- Do not drive on motorways or expressways, because the speed at which you will tow your Mercedes Classe V may endanger yourself and other motorists if you do it on an expressway.
- Do not go over 25 km/h, you must always stay in control of both automobiles, a high speed will not enable you to anticipate possible obstacles and the towed car may enter the first one
- Limit yourself to short distance journeys. If you have to travel several dozen kilometres, it is better to call a breakdown service.
- When towing, try to make sure that the Mercedes Classe V and the car towing it are correctly aligned, to keep a great behaviour.
- Turn on the warnings lights on both automobiles.
- If the Mercedes Classe V being towed has no battery, you will need to use a removable plate plugged into the first automobile so that you can notify the drivers behind you.
How to tow a Mercedes Classe V by yourself
Now that you have found out the basic specifications for securely towing a Mercedes Classe V, we will present you the different methods to do it:
- Use only a tow bar to tow your Mercedes Classe V, as ropes, straps or other products are not appropriate and will only risk you having an incident. If the towing device is flexible, you risk hitting the towing automobile. It will be better to buy a towing bar.
- You can use one of the three kinds existing tow bars to tow your Mercedes Classe V, telescopic bars (40 to 50 euros), folding bars (30 to 100 euros) and standard bars (30 to 40 euros).
- Check that you have two towing rings on the automobiles, which will let you to connect them together with the tow bar.
- Check that the towing automobile is heavier than the automobile to be towed.
- Have efficient signalling on the Mercedes Classe V to be towed.
These are the rules to follow if you want to tow your Mercedes Classe V. Nevertheless keep in mind that this alternative should only be used for short distances to avoid a more expensive towing, if you have a long distance to cover we advise you to browse the following section.
Have your Mercedes Classe V towed by a specialist
To finish , last part of our guidebook, if you are not able to tow your Mercedes Classe V in good conditions, it keeps the most logical solution, to call a tow truck to tow your car. This might seem like an expensive option, but in most insurance contracts, there is a clause that allows you to use their services at no cost. Here are the points to examine on your insurance contract before calling a tow truck:
- That the distance between your home and the place of breakdown is matching with the mileage shown in your agreement (generally covered more than 50 km from your home).
- Check that the problems you are being confronted with are well taken care of by your insurer.
- At last, examine the deductible amount on your account.
Now you have all the information you need to tow your Mercedes Classe V in good conditions.
To get more tips on the Mercedes Classe V, take a look at the Mercedes Classe V category.