Having an automobile is helpful, only a vehicle means a breakdown… And sadly, we know perfectly, also the luckiest among us hardly ever fall through the cracks. On the other hand, between an automobile that doesn’t start in the morning and breaking down on the highway, the consequences are going to be quite different. In any case, a Mercedes Benz GLS Class that doesn’t drive is tricky to move and the only solution is often to tow it to the nearest workshop. In this article we will teach you how to tow a Mercedes Benz GLS Class, respecting the legislation and guaranteeing maximum safety. To do this, first we will look at the rules to adhere to when towing a Mercedes Benz GLS Class, then how to tow a Mercedes Benz GLS Class yourself, and at last, the most sensible solution is to hire a specialist to tow your car.
The rules to adhere to if you want to tow an Mercedes Benz GLS Class
It is surely possible to tow your vehicle. On the other hand, if you want to go into towing a Mercedes Benz GLS Class you will have to adhere to some restrictions. We present them to you below:
- Do not drive on motorways or expressways, because the speed at which you will tow your Mercedes Benz GLS Class may put at risk yourself and other drivers if you do it on an expressway.
- Do not surpass 25 km/h, you must all the time stay in control of both automobiles, a high speed will not let you to predict possible obstacles and the towed car may enter the first one
- Limit yourself to short distance journeys. If you have to travel several dozen kilometres, it is better to call a breakdown service.
- When towing, try to be certain that the Mercedes Benz GLS Class and the car towing it are properly lined up, to keep a great behaviour.
- Switch on the warnings lights on both automobiles.
- If the Mercedes Benz GLS Class being towed has no battery, you will need to use a removable plate plugged into the first vehicle so that you can warn the drivers behind you.
How to tow a Mercedes Benz GLS Class by yourself
Now that you have learned the basic rules for securely towing a Mercedes Benz GLS Class, we will present you the different ways to do it:
- Use only a tow bar to tow your Mercedes Benz GLS Class, as ropes, straps or other products are not appropriate and will only risk you having an accident. If the towing device is flexible, you risk hitting the towing vehicle. It will be better to buy a towing bar.
- You can use one of the three kinds existing tow bars to tow your Mercedes Benz GLS Class, telescopic bars (40 to 50 euros), folding bars (30 to 100 euros) and standard bars (30 to 40 euros).
- Check that you have two towing rings on the automobiles, which will allow you to connect them together with the tow bar.
- Check that the towing vehicle is heavier than the vehicle to be towed.
- Have efficient signalling on the Mercedes Benz GLS Class to be towed.
These are the protocols to adhere to if you want to tow your Mercedes Benz GLS Class. On the other hand bear in mind that this solution should only be used for short distances to avoid a more expensive towing, if you have a long distance to cover we encourage you to browse the following section.
Have your Mercedes Benz GLS Class towed by a specialist
Finally, last part of our guidebook, if you are not able to tow your Mercedes Benz GLS Class in good conditions, it keeps the most logical remedy, to call a tow truck to tow your car. This might seem like an expensive solution, but in most insurance contracts, there is a clause that allows you to use their services cost-free. Here are the details to examine on your insurance contract before calling a tow truck:
- That the distance between your home and the place of breakdown is in respect with the mileage shown in your contract (generally covered more than 50 km from your home).
- Check that the complications you are being confronted with are well taken care of by your insurer.
- At last, examine the deductible amount on your account.
Now you have all the info you need to tow your Mercedes Benz GLS Class in good conditions.
If perhaps you have any further questions about the Mercedes Benz GLS Class, do not hesitate to consult our Mercedes Benz GLS Class category.