Having a car is practical, only a vehicle means a breakdown… And unfortunately, we know perfectly, even the luckiest among us hardly ever fall through the cracks. On the other hand, between a car that doesn’t start in the morning and breaking down on the highway, the results are going to be quite different. Nevertheless, a Jeep Patriot that doesn’t drive is hard to move and the only remedy is often to tow it to the nearest garage area. In this content we will show you how to tow a Jeep Patriot, respecting the laws and guaranteeing maximum safety. To do this, first we will take a look at the rules to follow when towing a Jeep Patriot, then how to tow a Jeep Patriot yourself, and at last, the most sensible solution is to hire a professional to tow your car.
The rules to follow if you want to tow an Jeep Patriot
It is in actual fact possible to tow your automobile. On the other hand, if you want to go into towing a Jeep Patriot you will have to follow some restrictions. We present them to you just below:
- Do not drive on motorways or expressways, since the speed at which you will tow your Jeep Patriot may put at risk yourself and other users if you do it on an expressway.
- Do not surpass 25 km/h, you must constantly stay in control of both automobiles, a high speed will not allow you to anticipate possible obstacles and the towed car may enter the first one
- Limit yourself to short distance journeys. If you have to travel several dozen kilometres, it is better to call a breakdown service.
- When towing, try to ensure that the Jeep Patriot and the car towing it are properly aligned, to maintain a good behaviour.
- Switch on the warnings lights on both automobiles.
- If the Jeep Patriot being towed has no battery, you will need to use a removable plate linked to the first automobile so that you can alert the drivers behind you.
How to tow a Jeep Patriot by yourself
Now that you have learned the basic rules for securely towing a Jeep Patriot, we will learn you the different approaches to do it:
- Use only a tow bar to tow your Jeep Patriot, as ropes, straps or other products are not suitable and will only risk you having an accident. If the towing device is flexible, you risk hitting the towing automobile. It will be better to buy a towing bar.
- You can use one of the three types of existing tow bars to tow your Jeep Patriot, telescopic bars (40 to 50 euros), folding bars (30 to 100 euros) and standard bars (30 to 40 euros).
- Examine that you have two towing rings on the automobiles, which will let you to link them together with the tow bar.
- Examine that the towing automobile is heavier than the automobile to be towed.
- Have working signalling on the Jeep Patriot to be towed.
These are the restrictions to follow if you want to tow your Jeep Patriot. On the other hand keep in mind that this alternative should only be used for short distances to avoid a more expensive towing, if you have a long distance to cover we encourage you to examine the following section.
Have your Jeep Patriot towed by a professional
To conclude, last part of our article, if you are not able to tow your Jeep Patriot in good conditions, it keeps the most reasonable solution, to call a tow truck to tow your car. This may seem like an expensive choice, but in most insurance contracts, there is a clause that allows you to use their services cost-free. Here are the details to verify on your insurance contract before calling a tow truck:
- That the distance between your home and the place of breakdown is in accordance with the mileage shown in your contract (generally covered more than 50 km from your home).
- Examine that the problems you are struggling with are well taken care of by your insurer.
- At last, verify the deductible amount on your account.
Now you have all the information you need to tow your Jeep Patriot in good conditions.
To find more tips on the Jeep Patriot, take a look at the Jeep Patriot category.