Having a car is practical, only a vehicle means a breakdown… And regrettably, we know very well, even the luckiest among us rarely fall through the cracks. However, between a car that doesn’t start in the morning and breaking down on the highway, the consequences are going to be quite different. In any case, a Audi A6 that doesn’t drive is tricky to move and the only answer is often to tow it to the closest mechanic. In this content page we will describe how to tow a Audi A6, respecting the legislation and guaranteeing maximum security. To achieve this, first we will look at the rules to stick to when towing a Audi A6, then how to tow a Audi A6 yourself, and at last, the most sensible solution is to hire a specialist to tow your car.
The rules to stick to if you want to tow an Audi A6
It is in actual fact possible to tow your vehicle. However, if you want to go into towing a Audi A6 you will have to stick to some protocols. We present them to you just below:
- Do not drive on motorways or expressways, since the speed at which you will tow your Audi A6 may put at risk yourself and other drivers if you do it on an expressway.
- Do not exceed 25 km/h, you must all the time stay in control of both automobiles, a high speed will not enable you to predict possible obstacles and the towed car may enter the first one
- Limit yourself to short distance journeys. If you have to travel several dozen kilometres, it is better to call a breakdown service.
- When towing, try to ensure that the Audi A6 and the car towing it are properly aligned, to hold a great behaviour.
- Turn on the warnings lights on both automobiles.
- If the Audi A6 being towed has no battery, you will need to use a removable plate connected to the first vehicle so that you can warn the drivers behind you.
How to tow a Audi A6 by yourself
Now that you have found out the basic protocols for safely towing a Audi A6, we will present you the different methods to do it:
- Use only a tow bar to tow your Audi A6, as ropes, straps or other products are not appropriate and will only risk you having an incident. If the towing device is flexible, you risk hitting the towing vehicle. It will be better to buy a towing bar.
- You can use one of the three types of existing tow bars to tow your Audi A6, telescopic bars (40 to 50 euros), folding bars (30 to 100 euros) and standard bars (30 to 40 euros).
- Check that you have two towing rings on the automobiles, which will allow you to connect them together with the tow bar.
- Check that the towing vehicle is heavier than the vehicle to be towed.
- Have functioning signalling on the Audi A6 to be towed.
These are the rules to stick to if you want to tow your Audi A6. However remember that this method should only be used for short distances to avoid a more expensive towing, if you have a long distance to cover we encourage you to examine the following section.
Have your Audi A6 towed by a specialist
Finally, last part of our guidebook, if you are not able to tow your Audi A6 in good conditions, it keeps the most reasonable resolution, to call a tow truck to tow your car. This might sound like an expensive solution, but in most insurance contracts, there is a clause that allows you to use their services totally free. Here are the details to check on your insurance contract before calling a tow truck:
- That the distance between your home and the place of breakdown is matching with the mileage insured in your contract (generally covered more than 50 km from your home).
- Check that the problems you are struggling with are well taken care of by your insurer.
- At last, check the deductible amount on your account.
Now you have all the info you need to tow your Audi A6 in good conditions.
To find more tips on the Audi A6, take a look at the Audi A6 category.