Regardless of you need to move house, go on vacation with a caravan, dispose of green waste, or have a hitch is fairly handy. In this article, we will show you the electrical connection of a trailer hitch of a Volkswagen Touran 3 . In truth, regardless if the installation process is not difficult, it is required to describe some points to consider this task without any problem. Firstly, we will see what the electrical wiring harness of your motor vehicle hitch involves, then, in a second step, how to make the electrical connection of the hitch of a Volkswagen Touran 3 .
What’s the wiring harness for a Volkswagen Touran 3 hitch trailer?
Why do we have to connect a wiring harness with the hitch trailer of a Volkswagen Touran 3?
So we will begin our content page by explaining the fundamentals of a wiring harness of a Volkswagen Touran 3. In order to discover how it functions, you must previously discover its necessity. If you have a trailer or a caravan to tow, it is important and above all mandatory by the highway code to respect certain laws, here they are:
- A solid chassis for the trailer…
- Wheels that fit.
- An electrical connection.
- A license plate in plain sight.
- A stoplight repeater.
- A traffic light repeater.
- A blinker repeater.
- License plate illumination.
- A fog light repeater.
In order to fulfill all the electrical requirements, you will need to install a wiring harness connection on the hitch trailer of your Volkswagen Touran 3 . We will focus on this in this article, if you want to discover how to install the hitch of a Volkswagen Touran 3, please see our content page on this theme.
What is the electrical connection of the trailer hitch of a Volkswagen Touran 3?
We will now quickly show you how the electrical connection of your hitch functions. The connection uses the 12-volt current from your motor vehicle to power the hitch lights on your Volkswagen Touran 3. There are two different systems of electrical connection for a hitch, here they are:
- The 7-pin electric plug for a Volkswagen Touran 3 trailer, 7 pins : This is the classic plug that will be determined on all Volkswagen Touran 3 hitches. This electrical connection will enable you to transmit all the lighting functions required for the rear signalling of your trailer, you will find a plug for each objective (left and right indicators, ground, fog light, left and right position light, left and right brake light).
- Electrical connection for caravan with 13-pin plug for Volkswagen Touran 3: This plug system is mainly used for caravans that involve 12 volts inside to supply the various electrical equipment in the cabin. This sort of connection needs the use of an adapter. The extra pins will bring the 12 volt power permanently (to recharge a battery in the caravan) and the 12 volt power in use (to use the 12 volt equipment when the motor vehicle is switched on).
How do I hook up the wiring harness of a Volkswagen Touran 3?
To end this content page, we will quickly show you you how to make the connection of the wiring harness of your Volkswagen Touran 3 .
How to make the connection of the wiring harness of an old Volkswagen Touran 3?
To mount the wiring harness of an old Volkswagen Touran 3, you will have to go and get all the required cables in the rear lights of this one. We suggest you to call in a motor vehicle electrician to do this intervention because it is difficult, but we will nevertheless summarize the main steps to be accomplished:
- Take out the trunk lining from your Volkswagen Touran 3 to access the rear light unit.
- Identify the wires that correspond to each of the taillight functions.
- Connect them to the lugs on the wiring harness on your hitch.
- Close the whole thing down.
How do you connect the wiring harness of a recent Volkswagen Touran 3?
For modern Volkswagen Touran 3s, the wiring harness is much simpler to connect:
- You can use a multiplexable box, you will find particular ones for your Volkswagen Touran 3 and universal models. It’s up to you to choose according to your budget, know that a universal version costs between 30 and 60 euros.
- Take out the trunk lining from your Volkswagen Touran 3 so that you can route the cables from your box to the front of your Volkswagen Touran 3 and connect them to your fuse box.
- Install the case in the trunk effectively.
- You don’t have to retrieve your cables from the trunk and connect them to your outlet.
How do you hook up the power to a trailer on Volkswagen Touran 3?
Finally, to end this content page we will quickly show you you how to make the electrical connection of a caravan on your Volkswagen Touran 3 . To do this you will automatically have to go through one of the previous steps, it’s up to you to choose the one that means your model and your budget. After you have done this, the last step will be to buy an adapter that goes from a 7-pin plug to a 13-pin plug so that you can benefit from the 12 volt current in your caravan. These adapters come at different prices, you will need to count between 15 and 40 euros. All you have to do is plug it into your 7-pin plug.
Whenever you have any additional questions about the Volkswagen Touran 3, do not hesitate to consult our Volkswagen Touran 3 category.