Regardless of you need to move house, go on holiday with a caravan, dispose of green waste, or have a hitch is fairly handy. On this page, we will explain the electrical connection of a trailer hitch of a Volkswagen Golf 8 . Indeed, even if the set up process is not difficult, it is necessary to describe some details to consider this task without any problem. First of all, we will find out what the electrical wiring harness of your motor vehicle hitch involves, then, in a second step, how to make the electrical connection of the hitch of a Volkswagen Golf 8 .
What’s the wiring harness for a Volkswagen Golf 8 hitch trailer?
Why do we have to connect a wiring harness with the hitch trailer of a Volkswagen Golf 8?
So we will start our content page by explaining the fundamentals of a wiring harness of a Volkswagen Golf 8. In order to discover how it functions, you must already discover its necessity. If you have a trailer or a caravan to tow, it is essential and above all mandatory by the highway code to follow certain laws, here they are:
- A solid chassis for the trailer…
- Wheels that fit.
- An electrical connection.
- A license plate in plain sight.
- A stoplight repeater.
- A traffic light repeater.
- A blinker repeater.
- License plate illumination.
- A fog light repeater.
In order to fulfill all the electrical obligations, you will need to install a wiring harness connection on the hitch trailer of your Volkswagen Golf 8 . We will look into this in this post, if you want to learn how to install the hitch of a Volkswagen Golf 8, please find out our content page on this topic.
What is the electrical connection of the trailer hitch of a Volkswagen Golf 8?
We will now fairly quickly explain how the electrical connection of your hitch functions. The connection uses the 12-volt current from your motor vehicle to power the hitch lights on your Volkswagen Golf 8. There are two different systems of electrical connection for a hitch, here they are:
- The 7-pin electric plug for a Volkswagen Golf 8 trailer, 7 pins : This is the traditional plug that will be found on all Volkswagen Golf 8 hitches. This electrical connection will enable you to transmit all the lighting functions required for the rear signalling of your trailer, you will find a plug for each function (left and right indicators, ground, fog light, left and right position light, left and right brake light).
- Electrical connection for caravan with 13-pin plug for Volkswagen Golf 8: This plug system is mainly used for caravans that involve 12 volts inside to supply the different electrical devices in the cabin. This type of connection necessitates the use of an adapter. The extra pins will bring the 12 volt power permanently (to recharge a battery in the caravan) and the 12 volt power in use (to use the 12 volt equipment when the car is switched on).
How do I hook up the wiring harness of a Volkswagen Golf 8?
To end this content page, we will fairly quickly explain you how to produce the connection of the wiring harness of your Volkswagen Golf 8 .
How to make the connection of the wiring harness of an old Volkswagen Golf 8?
To install the wiring harness of an old Volkswagen Golf 8, you will have to go and get all the necessary cables in the rear lights of this one. We suggest you to call in a motor vehicle electrician to do this intervention because it is difficult, but we will nevertheless summarize the most important steps to be accomplished:
- Take out the trunk lining from your Volkswagen Golf 8 to access the rear light unit.
- Locate the wires that correspond to each of the taillight functions.
- Connect them to the lugs on the wiring harness on your hitch.
- Close the whole thing down.
How do you connect the wiring harness of a recent Volkswagen Golf 8?
For new Volkswagen Golf 8s, the wiring harness is much less complicated to connect:
- You can use a multiplexable box, you will find specific ones for your Volkswagen Golf 8 and universal models. It’s up to you to choose according to your budget, know that a universal version costs between 30 and 60 euros.
- Take out the trunk lining from your Volkswagen Golf 8 so that you can route the cables from your box to the front of your Volkswagen Golf 8 and connect them to your fuse box.
- Install the circumstance in the trunk properly.
- You don’t have to retrieve your cables from the trunk and connect them to your outlet.
How do you hook up the power to a trailer on Volkswagen Golf 8?
Finally, to end this content page we will fairly quickly explain you how to produce the electrical connection of a caravan on your Volkswagen Golf 8 . To achieve this you will inevitably have to go through one of the previous steps, it’s up to you to choose the one that corresponds to your model and your budget. After you have done this, the last step will be to buy an adapter that goes from a 7-pin plug to a 13-pin plug so that you can benefit from the 12 volt current in your caravan. These adapters come at different prices, you will need to count between 15 and 40 euros. All you have to do is plug it into your 7-pin plug.
If you have any further questions about the Volkswagen Golf 8, do not hesitate to consult our Volkswagen Golf 8 category.