If you need to move house, go on holiday with a caravan, dispose of green waste, or have a hitch is pretty handy. On this page, we will describe the electrical connection of a trailer hitch of a Toyota Prius . In actual fact, regardless if the installation process is not complex, it is necessary to describe some details to consider this intervention without any problem. Firstly, we will see what the electrical wiring harness of your car hitch contains, then, in a second step, how to make the electrical connection of the hitch of a Toyota Prius .
What’s the wiring harness for a Toyota Prius hitch trailer?
Why do we have to connect a wiring harness with the hitch trailer of a Toyota Prius?
So we will start our content page by explaining the fundamentals of a wiring harness of a Toyota Prius. In order to discover how it functions, you must previously discover its necessity. Whether you have a trailer or a caravan to tow, it is fundamental and above all mandatory by the highway code to respect certain requirements, here they are:
- A solid chassis for the trailer…
- Wheels that fit.
- An electrical connection.
- A license plate in plain sight.
- A stoplight repeater.
- A traffic light repeater.
- A blinker repeater.
- License plate illumination.
- A fog light repeater.
In order to satisfy all the electrical requirements, you will need to install a wiring harness connection on the hitch trailer of your Toyota Prius . We will look into this in this article, if you want to find out how to install the hitch of a Toyota Prius, please see our content page on this topic.
What is the electrical connection of the trailer hitch of a Toyota Prius?
We will now quickly describe how the electrical connection of your hitch functions. The connection uses the 12-volt current from your car to power the hitch lights on your Toyota Prius. There are two different systems of electrical connection for a hitch, here they are:
- The 7-pin electric plug for a Toyota Prius trailer, 7 pins : This is the traditional plug that will be located on all Toyota Prius hitches. This electrical connection will allow you to transmit all the lighting functions necessary for the rear signalling of your trailer, you will discover a plug for each action (left and right indicators, ground, fog light, left and right position light, left and right brake light).
- Electrical connection for caravan with 13-pin plug for Toyota Prius: This plug system is specifically used for caravans that require 12 volts inside to supply the different electrical equipment in the cabin. This type of connection needs the use of an adapter. The extra pins will bring the 12 volt power permanently (to recharge a battery in the caravan) and the 12 volt power in use (to use the 12 volt equipment when the motor vehicle is switched on).
How do I hook up the wiring harness of a Toyota Prius?
To finish this content page, we will quickly describe you how to make the connection of the wiring harness of your Toyota Prius .
How to make the connection of the wiring harness of an old Toyota Prius?
To mount the wiring harness of an old Toyota Prius, you will have to go and get all the necessary cables in the rear lights of this one. We suggest you to call in a car electrician to do this intervention because it is complex, but we will nevertheless summarize the main steps to be carried out:
- Take out the trunk lining from your Toyota Prius to access the rear light unit.
- Identify the wires that correspond to each of the taillight functions.
- Connect them to the lugs on the wiring harness on your hitch.
- Close the whole thing down.
How do you connect the wiring harness of a recent Toyota Prius?
For recent Toyota Priuss, the wiring harness is much simpler to connect:
- You can use a multiplexable box, you will discover specific ones for your Toyota Prius and universal models. It’s up to you to select according to your budget, know that a universal version costs between 30 and 60 euros.
- Take out the trunk lining from your Toyota Prius so that you can route the cables from your box to the front of your Toyota Prius and connect them to your fuse box.
- Install the circumstance in the trunk properly.
- You don’t have to retrieve your cables from the trunk and connect them to your outlet.
How do you hook up the power to a trailer on Toyota Prius?
Finally, to finish this content page we will quickly describe you how to make the electrical connection of a caravan on your Toyota Prius . To achieve this you will inevitably have to go through one of the previous steps, it’s up to you to select the one that corresponds to your model and your budget. After you have done this, the last step will be to buy an adapter that goes from a 7-pin plug to a 13-pin plug so that you can benefit from the 12 volt current in your caravan. These adapters come at different prices, you will need to count between 15 and 40 euros. All you have to do is plug it into your 7-pin plug.
If you have any additional questions about the Toyota Prius, do not hesitate to consult our Toyota Prius category.