Regardless of you need to move house, go on holiday with a caravan, dispose of green waste, or have a hitch is really handy. On this page, we will show you the electrical connection of a trailer hitch of a Subaru Crosstrek . Indeed, even if the set up process is not complex, it is necessary to clarify some details to consider this work without any problem. First of all, we will see what the electrical wiring harness of your car hitch consists of, then, in a second step, how to make the electrical connection of the hitch of a Subaru Crosstrek .
What’s the wiring harness for a Subaru Crosstrek hitch trailer?
Why do we have to connect a wiring harness with the hitch trailer of a Subaru Crosstrek?
So we will begin our content by explaining the fundamentals of a wiring harness of a Subaru Crosstrek. In order to understand how it works, you must already understand its necessity. Whether you have a trailer or a caravan to tow, it is necessary and above all mandatory by the highway code to follow certain protocols, here they are:
- A solid chassis for the trailer…
- Wheels that fit.
- An electrical connection.
- A license plate in plain sight.
- A stoplight repeater.
- A traffic light repeater.
- A blinker repeater.
- License plate illumination.
- A fog light repeater.
In order to meet all the electrical regulations, you will need to install a wiring harness connection on the hitch trailer of your Subaru Crosstrek . We will concentrate on this in this article, if you want to learn how to install the hitch of a Subaru Crosstrek, please see our content on this topic.
What is the electrical connection of the trailer hitch of a Subaru Crosstrek?
We will now quickly show you how the electrical connection of your hitch works. The connection uses the 12-volt current from your car to power the hitch lights on your Subaru Crosstrek. There are two different systems of electrical connection for a hitch, here they are:
- The 7-pin electric plug for a Subaru Crosstrek trailer, 7 pins : This is the traditional plug that will be identified on all Subaru Crosstrek hitches. This electrical connection will allow you to transmit all the lighting functions required for the rear signalling of your trailer, you will locate a plug for each objective (left and right indicators, ground, fog light, left and right position light, left and right brake light).
- Electrical connection for caravan with 13-pin plug for Subaru Crosstrek: This plug system is mainly used for caravans that necessitate 12 volts inside to supply the different electrical equipment in the cabin. This kind of connection requires the use of an adapter. The extra pins will bring the 12 volt power permanently (to recharge a battery in the caravan) and the 12 volt power in use (to use the 12 volt equipment when the motor vehicle is switched on).
How do I hook up the wiring harness of a Subaru Crosstrek?
To finish this content, we will quickly show you you how to make the connection of the wiring harness of your Subaru Crosstrek .
How to make the connection of the wiring harness of an old Subaru Crosstrek?
To install the wiring harness of an old Subaru Crosstrek, you will have to go and get all the necessary cables in the rear lights of this one. We advise you to call in a car electrician for this intervention because it is complex, but we will nevertheless summarize the most important steps to be carried out:
- Remove the trunk lining from your Subaru Crosstrek to access the rear light unit.
- Find the wires that correspond to each of the taillight functions.
- Connect them to the lugs on the wiring harness on your hitch.
- Close the whole thing down.
How do you connect the wiring harness of a recent Subaru Crosstrek?
For new Subaru Crosstreks, the wiring harness is much less complicated to connect:
- You can use a multiplexable box, you will locate specific ones for your Subaru Crosstrek and universal models. It’s up to you to choose according to your budget, know that a universal version costs between 30 and 60 euros.
- Remove the trunk lining from your Subaru Crosstrek so that you can route the cables from your box to the front of your Subaru Crosstrek and connect them to your fuse box.
- Install the case in the trunk properly.
- You don’t have to retrieve your cables from the trunk and connect them to your outlet.
How do you hook up the power to a trailer on Subaru Crosstrek?
Finally, to finish this content we will quickly show you you how to make the electrical connection of a caravan on your Subaru Crosstrek . To get this done you will inevitably have to go through one of the previous steps, it’s up to you to choose the one that points your model and your budget. After you have conducted this, the last step will be to buy an adapter that goes from a 7-pin plug to a 13-pin plug so that you can benefit from the 12 volt current in your caravan. These adapters come at different prices, you will need to count between 15 and 40 euros. All you have to do is plug it into your 7-pin plug.
In the event that you have any additional questions about the Subaru Crosstrek, do not hesitate to consult our Subaru Crosstrek category.